Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first full beans

Posted by shuffles 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 17:28

I will be harvesting full beans for the first time soon, Snowball from Bill Best. Supposedly Snowball is very similar to Lazy Wife, but I didn't have any luck with Lazy Wife last year. How long will it take to cook them? I am guessing about a half hour at a low boil or simmer. I don't want to mess up our first batch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first full beans

So far I have tried Blue Greasy Grits, Tobacco Worm, Tennessee Cutshorts and a couple more as full beans. I just steam mine over boiling water, as to how long, maybe 10-15 minutes.

Annette

o

Annette, 15 minutes is much less time than I would have thought. Thanks!

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 21:23

I like full beans best as the pods are turning yellow. It takes up to 40 minutes to steam them.

I do not see Snowball on Bill's site - Dick

o

Dick, I got the Snowball seed in a swap with Bill Best a couple years ago. This is the first time I have planted them.

o

Snowball beans picked today - dinner tonight.

o

YUM those look soooo good, as I mentioned above the varieties I've cooked as full beans only took 15 minutes give or take a few minutes, depends on the individual varieties, and the water was boiling before I started. Other kinds might take more time, do a taste test after 10-15 minutes, this should give you an idea how long these ones will take.

Annette

o

Thanks Annette, I'll keep taste testing them as they cook. I'll let you know how they turn out.

o

Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 16:53

I am sooooo jealous!!

40 minutes is for a large pot that typically contains corn and other vegetables and it is starting with a cold pot and cold water. - Dick

This post was edited by drloyd on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 17:00

o

We ended up cooking them for 30 minutes. Only a few of the shells fell off and the beans inside were still fairly firm. They were very tasty. My wife liked them so much she want's us to grow a lot more next year.

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:08

Shuffles, thank you for the report. Was that 30 minutes from a cold start or from boiling water?

o

Dick, from hot. I cook with only a little water in the pot, so it is very similar to steaming. One of my sisters always fills the pot with water when cooking veggies.

o

I've always done mine in a steamer basket over boiling water, I wonder if that makes a difference or if it's the variety.
In the off season I've bought green beans from the supermarket that are still tough after steaming for 20 or so minutes, other times they are tender after 10 minutes, so hard to plan when to put them on to have them just right when everything else is ready. I wouldn't bother buying them but I just have to have my bean fix at least once a week and I never have enough of my own to freeze.

Annette

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:20

That would be similar to what I do. I have a large pot with a steamer rack and a quart or more of cold water under the rack. I put the pot on the heat about 40 minutes before expected meal time.

I assume that Snowball has strings. Would you consider them to be a short or long season bean?

o

Oh yes, Snowball beans have strings! They took about 80 days from planting to picking. It looks like they aren't going to have another flush. Next year, I plan to succession plant them.

o

Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 9:05

I do plan to do succession planting of Aunt Jean's this year with a first attempt started in pots about May 1. Hopefully frost won't get them. Then another round about July 1.

Snowball looks like a winner like so many Appalachian beans. Can you grow a fall crop to mature after it starts to cool off? - Dick

o

Dick, my garden usually doesn't dry off soon enough to plant fall pole beans. I tried some in containers last fall, but the white flies got them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here