Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compostkate

Vine Maple used as bean pole. . .bad?

compostkate
14 years ago

Greetings!

I am wanting to make a bean-pole teepee this year and was thinking of using some nice long, yet thinish Vine Maple that got blown over at the end of winter. Pieces are ~8ft long and not more than 2in diameter, and I'll probably end up pruning off the top foot or so because they get thin & bendy toward the top.

When I went to harvest them this morning I discovered a few buds and/or new twigs. I would leave and let live except they fell over the trail and we have more than plenty growing on the property already. So my thought was to atleast put them to good use.

My concern is that some are obviously not completely dead (hardy bugger that Vine Maple!) and I don't wish these limbs to set roots down in my garden. Anyone know of a way, other than letting them cure until next year, to prevent these limbs from taking over the garden if used as a bean-pole teepee? Maybe removing the lower foot of bark or something as if an animal had girdled it?

I've tried surfing through the Search Engine but have yet to come up with any threads mentioning this particular concern. And, I'll admit, I've gotten side tracked a few too many times by other interesting and very informative threads lol.

thanks for any and all input!!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area