Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Luther's beans have spouted

graywings123
9 years ago

15 days ago I planted the first four of the Helda Romano pole beans that Luther sent me. We had a cold snap here in Virginia right after I planted, and I assumed they might be lost. But here they are, peeking out of the soil. So excited!

Comments (6)

• dlsm
    9 years ago

greywings, you are looking good. I think we are going into summer without any spring weather. My brother lives outside Macon Georgia and he had transplanted several plants to his garden and it got down to 33 degrees. Thank goodness the wind blew all night and he didn't get any frost and they survived.

Looks like you are on your way to a good harvest.
    Luther

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

I planted mine yesterday. With this crazy weather I waited.

Yours is looking good Graywings!

Thanks for sending me some Luther!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

Oh, by the way Luther, I shared some with my fellow gardeners at work also.

I think that you would want me too! Just like the BJBB's that you have shared and are now in many places in the US and other countries!

• dlsm
    9 years ago

wertach, thanks for sharing the seed I sent you. It only takes a few to get started and everyone can save their own in the future.

Harry is the Johnny Apple Seed of the BJBB. He spread them all over several Countries. He has given me several different varieties of seed. In return I try to forward them to others.

It is time for you folks up your way to start your gardens. My brother lives outside of Macon Georgia and he said they aren't going to have a spring, they are going from winter into summer. It is so wet where he lives he can't plant a garden.

Luther

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

Luther, I forgot to say the BJBB's that Harry shared with me!

I have old timers disease! :)

I could remember that you sent me the Romano pole beans and some Sieva, I still had them in the envelope with your name on it.

Yes, it's going straight to summer here also. But we dodged the heavy rain that was predicted for my area.

I have almost everything planted. I have some bush beans and squash that are up. I'm worried about my English peas though. They just started blooming 2 days ago and it is 70's right now. High 80's are predicted for the rest of the week!

• dlsm
    9 years ago

wertach, I have that oldlzheimer's disease really bad. Not only remembering things but can't spell simple words. I think what I miss most in my senior years is my mind. So when I get hung up on anything I just say I'm having a senior moment.

It is good the big rain missed you and you were able to get your garden planted. I have 6 types of green beans planted and I need to pull them all out and plant lima/butterbeans or cowpeas. But I got to save me some seed as I'm running low and I need to restock my freezer with seed. Plus some of these are new types that I want to plant again.
    That is the problem with a small garden but I can plant year around in this warm climate.

graywings, keep some old bedsheeds or blankets available to cover your beans in case you get a frost. With this weather we are having, be prepared.

Luther

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz