Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Grilled Beans???

Tell me more, do you precook them a bit first, toss them in olive oil or marinade them for awhile before grilling?

Cabrita exactly how do you grill your beans. We have a indoor electric Jenn-Air grill and just a Habatchi (charcoal) for outdoor grilling, which would be the best one to grill beans on?.

Annette

Comments (6)

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Annette, I must have gotten the idea from this forum and never did it before last year. I hope other bean grillers share their experiences too.

I only do it with the runner snaps, they are very fat giant green beans. I use thick aluminum foil and make a pouch. I always add olive oil, salt, freshly ground pepper and a little lemon juice. I sometimes also add, depending on time and mood, sprigs of rosemary, garlic cloves, whole scallions, lemon peels, bay leaves, basil leaves, fresh oregano, marjoram, sage, any combination, or just one or none.

The fire us usually from pecan branches reduced to embers. Slow grill for about the same time as it takes to grill a fat eggplant with its skin on. Depends on how many beans per pouch too I suppose. There was some peeking inside the pouch to get them to perfect donne-ness. We are getting a gas grill set up soon, but have not tried beans on it yet. It seems easier than building the fire from scratch though. I want to try just brushing the outside in olive oil and grilling directly, not sure if this would work?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cabrita, that sounds so good I'll definitely give it a try. I've done something similar with small boiling onions, only I've done these with butter, brown sugar and salt and pepper.

Annette

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
    a light dusting of very hot pepper powder
    1/4 cup olive oil

Separately, prepare
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1 tablespoon very good quality honey

Mix the olive oil, salt, and pepper and baste the beans before grilling. They should be at the back or side of the grill and will take about 5 minutes in a hot grill. flip them a couple of times to ensure they don't char. When tender, quickly baste with the butter and honey and let cook for 1 more minute to lightly dry the honey/butter onto the beans.

If you cook meat on the grill at the same time, the beans should be started near the end so that they have between 5 and 10 minutes of cook time.

DarJones

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

I found a nice looking recipe on Taste of Home's website.

Asian Grilled Beans

1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
    1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
    6 medium fresh mushrooms, quartered

• In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the beans, onion and mushrooms; toss to coat.
    • Place half of the vegetables on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square); fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
    • Grill, covered, over medium heat for 18-22 minutes or until beans are tender, turning packets over once. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape

Dean

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Grilled Beans

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

Bacon Wrapped Beans

1) Cut your strips of bacon in half
    2) Bundle of about 5 Green Beans together and wrap in 1/2 slice of Bacon.
    3) Put on Grill
    4) They are done when the bacon looks done.

**I have added Cayenne pepper, and garlic powder to the wrapped bacon which gives it a nice flavor.

Tangy Green Beans

Ingredients
    Bacon
    1 1/2 lb Green beans
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup bottled Italian dressing

1) Place frozen beans atop large, double thick square of foil.
    2) Add onion rings and turn up sides of foil.
    3) Pour Italian dressing over beans.
    4) Fold top of foil tightly.
    5) Grill for 30 minutes.

Dean

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the great recipes, I've printed them out, now all I need are some beans :). The temp is up past 60 in one of the raised beds where I grow pole beans every year, this year I'll plant my Italians there. It'll be another couple of weeks before I can plant beans elsewhere in the garden.

Annette

Sponsored