Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Peas

Posted by woodfern (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 18:31

I bought Yellow Peas. 5lb, probably repackaged (I'm thinking now) bulk beans from local health food store.
They look like large black eye peas.
I cooked a large batch (simmer all day). They are large! And to us they taste more like pinto 'beans' and look like beans....beautiful, but beans, not peas.
I have a picture I took of the cooked product:) but didn't know where to put it here.
The eye is still very prominent, they held together well and cooked much longer than a 'pea'.
I also have spent longer than I care to admit looking for a picture of them on the net. They are NOT the lentil like yellow peas.
Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I will add pic if someone will be so kind as to tell me where would be a good place. Thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Peas

If it tastes like a bean, it most likely is a bean. While southern peas vary widely in flavor, all of them will remind you of the Blackeye pea not a dried bean. Is the bean yellow? there are lots of those. Does it actually look like a blackeye pea. In my youth there were several folks who grew a wax bean whose seed looked like a Blackeye pes until you noticed that it was polished smooth and not matte like a blackeye. One of the more popular dried beans of the 50's was the Yellow Eye, which was a little larger tha a blackeye pea, but the eye was a shade of yellow rather than black.

o

Thank you farmerdilla.
Here is a pic.
This was after they were cooked:) And I became suspicious:) They were cooked in a beef broth (all I had) so they are a tad browner than when dry. But the eye is still the same dark color. And they are large. And now that you mention it I believe they were waxier than a matte black eye. I know they were larger and prettier.
Hope I do this link correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow peas

o

Now you have my curiosity up...I hope you get an answer...what was the brand of the pea...I might like to try this one...I so love beans and peas...It almost looks like a bean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here