Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Limas to good home

Posted by lynn1027 9a Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 18:47

I have 36 seeds of an heirloom lima along with provenance. It looks now like it will be too long before I can get out of this apartment to plant them. I am willing to give them to a good home! I got the seed some years ago when I was in Charlotte from the father of a business associate. They were bred by Dr. Haold Martin in Media, Pennsylvania. I can tell you they are so delicious - and huge. Robust vines and pods. It makes me sad to not be able to carry on, but I want the seeds to grow on. These seeds were harvested in July of 2007.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Limas to good home

On the vegetable forum, someone had preserved seeds in the freezer for thirty years. There's lots of good information on that thread, but I don't know how to post a link to it. So, if you really want to grow them one day, it is possible to preserve them. I've been doing that for years, (not for thirty years) but, it has to be done correctly.
Also, container gardening may be an option.

o

I think the thread below may be the one Oldpea is referring to. I found it interesting as well.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen seed viable after 30 years thread

o

Thanks to all who offered ideas and solutions. Problem solved!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here