Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which way to plant beans?

Posted by sheryl77 6B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 19:12

I've been told that the way to plant beans is with the belly button side up. Is this correct? Apparently the plant and roots both come out there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which way to plant beans?

I pay no attention to how the seeds are oriented. They seem to sprout just fine no matter which way they land.

Jim

o

Never heard of such nonsense. Just think of the hundreds of thousands of acres of beans planted every year and all those farmers making sure they are placed just so.
For that matter there isn't a seed I've planted over the last forty years that ever cared which way it landed as long as gravity is down and light is up.

o

I recently read in a gardening book to plant the "belly button" or "eye" down. So, I did a tiny experiment when I planted some of my beans this year. Planting the eye pointing up seemed to delay emergence by a day or so but germination was fine overall. However, mcleod's point is well taken. Commercial farmers can't plant zillions of beans by hand. They will do just fine whichever direction they're pointed. Impatient gardeners like me with small gardens might take the time though to plant eye down. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here