Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Snap Pea leaves drying up

Posted by mochee CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 20:46

Hi everyone! I am new here and a relatively new "balcony" gardener :)

About 2 months ago (late February), I started sowing sugar snap peas inside the house. The yield was great, all of them turned into shoots. And I planted all of them into pots outside (4 peas per pot, about 8-inch pot). The weather has been more towards the cold side lately (no more than 75 degrees and sometimes dips to high 30s). The balcony gets a lot of afternoon sun.

My peas have been growing well until recently. Then, about 2 weeks ago, some of my peas started to have shriveled, dried leaves! I water them usually once a week, more if the soil is dry when I poke my finger into the soil. I planted the peas in Miracle Grow potting soil (with some food already in the soil).

I wondered if I may have over-watered them? But I just watered the peas two days ago and by this afternoon, the soil was so dry I added more water.

Please help, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I read online that peas like water but others also have said not to overwater. I'm not sure if my peas are dying because of lack of water or overwatering. I wait until the soil is dry before watering.

I'm sorry I have no pictures, I can't seem to know how to post it here yet. If I can figure it out I'll add some later :)

Thank you so very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Snap Pea leaves drying up

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 23:12

Did you harden them off before setting them in the sun? When did you move them outside and when did the leaves start to dry?

o
RE: Sugar Snap Pea leaves drying up

The same thing is happening to mine; however, they are inside and have not/will not transplant. Any advise? THanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here