Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

Lots of rain has delayed my planting of cowpeas, limas, and peanu

lakedallasmary
17 years ago

I the north Texas area we have been getting some very bizarre weather. lots and lots of rain and low temps past last frost date.

here is are our suggested planting dates for north Texas

I have already planted my wax beans, but I have been putting off planting cowpeas, limas and peanuts due to all this wet and cool weather. I am just not sure how much longer it is safe to hold off. The back yard is pretty much flooded now. I will tell you that my English peas I planted in Feb are very happy and have already picked a few pods for snacking on in the garden, but no full harvest yet.

I like to use this siteThe effect of soil temperature on sown seeds to help me to decide when to plant. But they do not list peanuts or cowpeas. All I can ever find about cowpeas is they germinate readily after soil is 65 degrees. I would like to know if that is the best temp or the minimum. And how about peanuts, what temp do they like? And how much muck can cowpeas, butter peas, and peanuts put up with. The soil was on the wet side, before this downpour, but I am sure it is pure mud now.

A little off topic, but I wish squash was no that list, but it is not.

Any help on how to decide when it is right to plant beans. I am personally thinking, that even if soil temp is right, the solid should not be muddy!

Comments (2)

• rodger
    17 years ago

I would not plant the cowpeas p-nuts or limas till it warms. These all take heat same as okra and sweet potatoes. If they are planted in cool wet soil they will rot. I can't say for your growing area, but I will say this, here in South Carolina and the deep south as a whole, for legumes a spring garden is green beans they need warm soil but can tolerate cool days and nights and produce best when night temps less than 70 or so,same as tomatoes which do not set blooms when night temps are to high So these are a early spring crop and done by July. I plant limas in early May. Limas need a long growing season and typically I can get two crops with an early may planting I plant peanuts and cowpeas in June and no later than first week in july. these both can really take the heat and produce same as limas and peas I have grown over 70 varieties and all will make a crop within 8weeks or less. Peanuts take a little longer to produce and need about 90 days of frost free weather so if planted in may harvest in aug early sept if planted by first week in july harvest in oct. So to summerize To save space and time by not having to plant and harvest everything at once space out the legumes. Plant and harvest green beans early done by july plant limas a few weeks later harvest in July till frost plant p-nuts mid may till first week in jul harvest Aug - Oct plant field peas Mid May till first week in July harvest July-frost. Planting the p-nuts and peas in Jun gives me something in the garden during the hot dry months of late summer when little else is growing and allows me to harvest when the days are cooling in early fall so I'm not out in 100deg heat picking or digging. I prefer to sit on the porch a sip on some tea with a twist of lemon during the dog days of summer. RODGER

• lakedallasmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the very good advice.

I will hold off until the soil is less wet. I think due to our 100-110 weather we can get in summers, I was worried if I planted too late the heat/drought would get them. But if I plant in the mud, they either won't come up, or they would be sickly plants.

Also, with my pea experiment, I found the later planted peas are actually just as tall or taller and producing first! Even so, I will religate the peas to fall from now on. I have only gotten a few snacks of raw peas in the last week or so, and I can see heat killing the plants before I even get enough to cook.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting