Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble getting Jeminez beans to sprout

Posted by tumble_weed 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 21:52

I am getting poor germination for some reason. sowed 200 Jeminez beans in 2 inch net pots (indoors - one bean per pot, in coco coir with regulated bottom heat 80F) on March 23 and so far only 34 have sprouted. the beans were from a commercial supplier, packed for 2009.

have got good results with everything else (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, cukes, sugar snaps). The supplier has a solid reputation so maybe I am doing something wrong. or possibly Jeminez beans are just hard to sprout for some reason.

this is my first time to try pole beans and so do not know what to expect. what is a reasonable number of days to wait for these beans to take off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble getting Jeminez beans to sprout

10-14 days is about normal for germination, so you should be seeing better results by now, especially with bottom heat. Chances are that the seed is not the problem. I have also had trouble germinating beans in pots, if using a sterile soil-less mix (which is what I recommend for beans). Beans require a little N to trigger their best germination rate, something absent from most peat-based mixes.

You can overcome this problem by watering with a weak nitrate solution, of 1 teaspoon of liquid fertilizer (such as MG, or an organic solution rich in N) per gallon of water. Because beans are very prone to rot, I recommend using boiled water, to further reduce the chances. Use this solution only once; either for your initial soaking (best) or shortly thereafter.

You can try this with the beans you have already planted, and a few may still come up. But I suspect that quite a few have already begun to rot, so after another week, you might want to replace any which have failed.

o

thank you, I have ordered another batch and will try your nitrate solution

o

I planted Jeminez beans direct sowing in the ground. They all sprouted.
First time trying these beans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here