Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flo9_gw

Diseased bean seeds???

flo9
9 years ago

Alright guys...

I purchased 3 types of bean bean seeds from a popular heirloom company over past winter. I had green fever and experimented trying to grow beans and peas indoor.... I have NO bug infestation... nadda. I used great organic soil and compost.... eh the soil had a bombardment of mushroom spores however and I had to kill my project after about a month because my 2 bedroom apt reeked of a mushroom smell and I don't think any fairies came with it.

Well, 1 or 2 types I had bought from them.... it was like immediate disease notice on the leaves. Spots, drooping, brownage etc... I questioned if it was the soil!!!! I ridded the plants. Too risky to harm my house plants and them mushrooms.......... guys, I swear it... daily I was discarding thousands of mushroom between about 8 pots.

Well, guys.... I am using a new soil mix.... potting soil, black cow (?) , peats moss and perlite. So far it's the best growth process I've ever had with beans in a container.

Well, I mixed and matched 2 verities in a container and low and behold.... this container is completely diseased I had to throw them out today. 1 type I am for sure is cool and luckily started 4 seeds last week... I planted to replace them today... no pictures.

Alright, so over winter when I noticed my plants unhealthy... I found an article somewhere that bad seeds can do this..... if the plant was already diseased... the seeds are going to give off the same diseases. The link I saved is on my now broken laptop.... I just bought a new one.

Does this hold water??

Certainly somebody here has experienced this is this is true.

I know if tomato plants got an illness you soak them in diluted bleach... I have done this before with tomato plants that got blight last year saving some seeds. I'm growing 2 plants right now... so far their looking great.

I haven't contacted them yet... I'd like some opinions here and experiences. I don't trust this company whole heartedly... most of the pictures they show and some descriptions are totally different. They say pure white... it grows orange. Just stuff like that. Cross breading going on. And their methods of using bumble bees.... forcing these stingers to stay in bag columns and only able to live a life on a strip of plants and then sucking them back into these bags to prevent cross pollination.... eh. How does the bees feel about this?? I wouldn't be pleased. Their method isn't working.... I'm not the first to complain.

Well, I think I have to throw these out.... the KY wonder are fine.... I haven't experienced this with my past beans I purchased from other companies.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors