Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowers but no beans?

Posted by st2826 greece 9/10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 5:43

I've got 6 beans growing-4 Pickwick and 2 hestia/

All of them have flowers on but no sign of any beans, the plants have been grown from seed and are roughly 2 months old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowers but no beans?

Patience - runner beans sometimes start with a few flowers which abort. They need plenty of water and some say that spraying the flowers helps pollination but I can't say if this is true. Also what is the temperature down there at the moment? If it's too hot they might also abort.

o

Temperature still ok at the moment, it's 22c today and has been around that for a few weeks

o

Ha ha - it's been warmer here the last week! In that case just patience ;-)

o

Tell me about it, Corfu's weather has been very odd so far this summer, my mum is in the south west as well so had to listen to her crowing about how nice it is!! :o)

o

The beans have started :o)

o

There you go - patience paid off. Enjoy the taste of home.

o

My late mother-in-law said that was caused by planting in the sign of the flower. She followed the Farmers Almanac like it was scripture.

Glad your beans are forming.
Juanita

o

In my experience of 3 years of growing Runners I observed that earlier flowers failed to produce beans. When plant reached the height above 2 feet or more it started producing beans.Of course this is one gardener's experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here