Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it time for limas yet?

Posted by macheske 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 6:22

My pole beans and bush beans are about 3" tall now. The temps for the next 10 days are lows around 50 and highs in around 70. Is it time to put in the king of the garden limas yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it time for limas yet?

My rule of thumb is two weeks after last frost date.

o

Guess it's time then. Our average last frost date is 4/20. The actual was a week or so earlier. I'll get them in this weekend. I was assuming that limas needed warmer soil but this is the first year that I'm planting them.
Thanks!

o

What's your soil temp?

o

I've got Christmas limas up so I would say it's time to plant.

o

please help I planted several # of limas and green beans early Excellent Growth but some type of Bug is eating the tops off-- not animals Ive done the 7 dust 10 percent. THere are alot of catipalers an jap beetles. can someone help

o

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh.... Probably got 10% germination rate on the king of the garden limas. I don't think it could be the soil or conditions since I got 90-100% on the rest of my beans.

o

Actually, the soil temps could be at least partly to blame, since limas need more heat than common beans. Wet conditions during germination will also take their toll. And to top things off, I noticed that when I grew K.O.G., its storage life was less than other beans.

In my Northern location, it has been an exceptionally cool, wet Spring. Soil temperatures here are still below normal, and much of the northern tier of states probably has similar conditions. We just had a late frost, 3 weeks later than normal! I don't even have my common beans in yet, and am starting limas, long-season beans, and some of my rarer common beans in peat pots.

o

I'm in Zone 7 here in the Atlanta area as well. I planted my Big Mama pole limas around the first of May. It has been cooler than normal here as well, but after about 2 weeks, I got 100% germination. I also used the Burpee Bean Booster to help with nitrogen producing bacteria in the soil, but I don't think that affects germination. I'm still a newbie gardener, but thought you might appreciate hearing from someone in a similar zone. My limas are all up, the first set of leaves has quadrupled in size and they are all pushing up the tendrils with the first of the true leaves. They are about 8" high, I think. I'm very excited with their rapid growth in comparison to my squashes which have been quite sluggish - due to the cooler weather I think.

o

Thanks for the input susancol. It is somewhat of a mystery for me since I got such good germination from my other beans. I'll just get by with the ~15 plants that did sprout. BTW...I should have my first zucchini this week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here