Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvisland

rain and bean seeds

mvisland
14 years ago

I directly sowed my wax beans & green beans in my garden last week. Since then it has pretty much rained everyday and is suppose to rain for another 4-5 days. Do you think the seeds will be ok with all this rain? I do have raised bed rows in my garden, and I inoculated the seeds before I planted them. I have never seen so many days of straight rain!!!!

Comments (8)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

As long as its warm enough that the seeds aren't rotting and the drainage isn't so poor that puddles are forming your beans should be along in another few days.

I've had beans sprout as quickly as 4-5 days and as slowly as 3 weeks (in drought conditions).

• anney
    14 years ago

mvisland

I planted about 18 feet of pole beans on Thursday, and it's rained every day since then, including Thursday! And I have clay soil. They began germinating yesterday and this morning about a third of them have popped up. It's still raining! As iam3killerbs says, as long as it's warm and there is sufficient drainage, your beans should appear soon.

• mvisland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the answers, makes me feel a little better. I did dig up a couple of seeds this afternoon, the sun came out for a couple of hours. The seeds I dug up are still good, not sprouting but not mushy either. It is suppose to rain again tonight for the next 3 days....also when I dug up the couple of beans I found a tiny white worm underground by a seed. It was almost a milky clear. Had tiny legs in the front, none in the back, and a black line inside the wormy, it was that clear I could see its insides... any idea what kind of a tiny worm it could be? I was thinking a baby grub???

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Yes, that sounds like a beetle grub.

I use a trowel to toss those things well out into the yard where they can either be found by the birds or dig back into the soil far from my veggies.

The first year we moved down south we were shocked to find a grub as big as my thumb. Later that summer we saw our first rhinoceros beetle.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Is sprouting them indoors a possibility? Mine have sprouted in a few days (in jiffy pellets in dixie cups, wrapped in cling wrap, on a heating pad). Maybe you could dig them up, sprout them inside, and plant them out when the rain stops? I dunno how much you're getting, but here in Maryland it's probably been rainy enough to wash away all the seeds I planted :-/

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

IMO, sprouting beans inside is a waste of time and potting soil.

Beans are very easy to grow and sprout eagerly under almost any conditions -- unless its too cold, in which case they rot. Beans absolutely MUST be planted in warm soil.

As long as they are drowning in standing water due to poor drainage, there's nothing freshly planted beans like better than a week of rain. :-)

• mvisland
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody for the replies.....the raining is over here (whew, lots of rain) still no beans sprouting, but my soil temp is 60 degrees. I have raised rows, and my soil is good, so the seeds are not in soggy soil. I will just wait another week, dig up a couple to check on them. Worse case senerio, I will just have to put new bean seeds in.....

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

60 is marginal for soil temperature. 65-70 is a better bet.

If they don't rot, they'll probably sprout as it warms up.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH