Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Peas/beans -- any reason this wouldn't work?

anney
14 years ago

On another forum, one poster mentioned that he set his melons out among his climbing peas when the peas began setting pods. After the peas were harvested, the old vines were left in place, and the melons took over the trellis.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work with climbing peas and pole beans? (Maybe it's done often and I've just never heard of it.) The beans would climb the lower stems of the pea plants to eventually reach the trellis.

I have always wanted to use the same trellis for Spring peas and pole beans, but if I wait until May or June for the peas to finish producing and remove the pea plants to plant the pole beans, that's a later planting than is possible in this area if the trellis isn't being used. Maybe I could plant the pole beans 2-3 weeks earlier using this method.

Has anyone overlapped their pea and bean growing this way?

Can you anticipate any problems doing this with a north-south-oriented trellis?

Comments (4)

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Anney, it seems to work for me. In the old garden, the peas went in when the pole beans were close to being 'done' producing. The pole beans we used were Kentucky wonder, pole wax and purple peacock. The peas we used were pole sugar snaps (Oregon Giant) and pole snow peas. The peas started growing right when we took the beans out. We took them out by cutting the root and leaving the root on the ground. We did not use the beans to help the peas climb, but this did not seem to matter, the peas seem to always know what to do.

In another spot (in the new garden in z9), I have bush peas, but they really liked it when I put tomato cages there. I did that in two beds actually, one of them bush sugar snaps, the other bush snow peas. They did not mind little baby tomatoes in the cages either, and the tomatoes do not mind a bit, and thrive with the pea company. Now on the same bed (yes, I do crowd things...) I have a couple of tepees with the yard long type of cow peas. I got those in a trade and planted all the seed I had. They just sprouted and the peas are still pumping out pods, but getting yellow and too hot. By the time all the peas are out, the yard long beans will have more room, and can take over existing trellises. In the fall, I will do the exact same thing in reverse. It does work in both directions, at least here in my climate (zone 9 and previously 10). We do try to have some legume in harvest stage at all times, and so far so good....

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cabrita

I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove any of the first vines at all but just plant close to them as they're finishing up and let the new vines climb up the first ones!

You say you cut off the vines and left the roots, and the peas started growing when you took the beans out. That's what I wanted to avoid. If I wait until the spring peas are finished to plant the summer beans, there is very little time for the beans to grow. That's why I was wondering about planting the beans right next to the peas right BEFORE the peas are harvested and not removing the pea vines at all, at least until the end of summer along with the spent bean vines.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

No, no, sorry I did not explain well. It turned out that by the time the peas were out (little sprouts) the beans were done. It was timed this way. We put the pea seeds when we saw that the beans were at the end of their productive life, but still producing. We could have staggered it even more, and that would have been ok as far as trellis sharing, except for the extreme heat we got here last fall. I did not want the pea sprouts to bake during one of our +100F days. I got climbing cow peas now ready to share a trellis with peas that I have no intention of removing until they die. Here we have June gloom (longer than normal springs for our zone) so I am still harvesting a lot of peas. But, I am greedy and I also want beans early! So in other words, I am doing just what you are describing and so far it is working for me. Good luck with it!

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay! Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I'm glad they worked for you -- it gives me heart!

What I may do is plant some "Tall Telegraph-Alderman" peas this fall the same way (alongside my beans) since I didn't plant any peas this past spring, fearing I'd miss planting my main crop pole beans at a reasonable time if I did.

I've never grown peas as a fall crop, so I'm going to have to figure out the best time to sow them. I think they germinate and grow well in warm or even hot weather but don't produce peas unless it's at least cool.