Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

'Pigeon peas' - a new definition

flora_uk
14 years ago

Lovely day here yesterday, just right for a trip to the allotment to see how things are doing. Broad beans looking good and a row of peas nicely up . But - what's this? Someone is enjoying a buffet lunch at my expense. Wandering up and down the pea row is a sleek well-nourished looking pigeon. Well, we get a lot of woodpigeons and feral pigeons but this one is way too smart. And s/he's sporting a shiny set of leg rings. Obviously racing home to the pigeon loft lost its attraction when s/he spied those delicious green pea sprouts down below. No injuries. Just taking a break. Unlike the wild birds which you can whoosh off, this one was as cool as a cucumber. Tried flapping and clapping. No response. Tried lobbing clods of earth to land near it. Useless. Eventually I poured a stream of water from my can right on its back. It just ruffled its feathers and went right on snacking. Finally it wandered off (no flying - obviously too tiring) and I quickly put some netting over the row then went off to the compost heap to do a little fossicking. I looked back at the pea row and there s/he is again, UNDER the netting. The row now has chicken wire AND netting over it. I hope the homing instinct kicks in soon. This is getting ridiculous.

Comments (3)

Sponsored