Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lotus tetragonolobus winged pea question

Posted by happyday 4a (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 9:19

I bought this from SSE, kinda wish I hadn't now. Looks like I might not even get pods as SSE does not mention if it is daylight neutral. Should I plant this in a hill, or row, or try to train it up a trellis? Anyone ever grow this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lotus tetragonolobus winged pea question

Yes, I have grown it. It is a low, ground-hugging plant with small, bright red flowers. I grew it one year, as a Summer crop... it did not take heat well. The plants languished all Summer; but with the cooler days of early Fall, they began growing vigorously. There was no evidence of photo-period sensitivity (as there is with its relative, Winged Bean), but they do seem to prefer cool weather.

Rabbits really liked the foliage, they ate quite a bit of it, and would probably have eaten all of it, had they not been interplanted with marigolds. The plants sprang back quickly, but the pod set was disappointingly small. I did not find the pods appealing as a vegetable; they were bland, and developed fiber very quickly. They were inedible if over 1" long.

Personally, I think the best use of the plant is as an ornamental ground cover, due to its bright red flowers.

o
RE: Lotus tetragonolobus winged pea question

Thanks Zeedman. I think I wasted my 2.75 on this one. Guess I'll put squash in that hill after all, and put this in when space opens up in the radish bed...if I grow it at all.

PS I still want to try Birds Egg #3 this year, will send you a SASE if thats ok. The Ma Williams was fantastic!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here