Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Pinkeye purple hulls orange blossoms?

tracydr
9 years ago

I planted some PEPH peas given to me by a forum member. I've grown pinkeyes before and I thought they had pale purple blossoms. I have a whole row of bushy cowpeas with beautiful yellow-orange blossoms. Like the color of nastiturtiums.
Is this a different variant?

Comments (6)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Peas cross easily and there are several varieties that are pinkeye purple hulls altho they may have diferent names. I have not grown any with yellow blossoms, but have grown blackeyes and other types with yellow blossoms. It should be relatively easy to to develop one with yellow blossoms.

• hementia8
    9 years ago

CANIDE is the only one I remember having yellow blossoms

• tracydr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would it be unusual that it seems like the whole batch is going to be yellow? He didn't say anything about these being different and sent me about 1/2 pound. Although tbh, only about 3 plants are currently flowering. I had doves steal my seeds from the garden and had to replant.
    I will make sure to save all the yellow plant's seed. I'm so excited to see what the hull and pea color are!

• tracydr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, continuing to be an interesting pea/bean. The peas grow in clusters of 2-4 on the end of 18" sticks which stick up from the top of an attractive, 2 foot bush. Hulls are green with older hulls taking a slight tinge of purple on the edge.
    The peas, when planted were cream colored with a pink eye. Very similar to the PEPH that I've planted for the past couple of years.
    The green, partially filled pod is very tender and sweet when raw. Reminds me of an Asian long bean, maybe tastier. Haven't cooked it yet be we will be having for dinner tonight.
    All the plants are similar in this row. I have 3 other rows, planted later, that should be flowering this week.
    These came from a NW TX market groweroff another forum. He sent me about 1/2-1 pound labeled PEPH, about 3 years ago. This is the first time I've grown them. I had been using seed from my own PEPH which I had purchased, but decided to go with these instead this year.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cooked the first batch.. Left most of them in the pod. Added some regular green beans that I picked at the same time. Shelled the thicker, tougher ones.
    The seeds are pinkeye with creamy body, just like what I planted. Pods are about 8-10". The ones that haven't fully filled out have tender, sweet pods. The older ones have a bit of sponginess, more like a long bean.
    Overall, very delicious!

• hementia8
    9 years ago

Tracy I got white blooms from the seed you sent me
    It must have been something in your soil
    Let us know what they do in your new home
    Charlie

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus