Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valuabletime_gw

Planting Green Beans Seeds

valuabletime
14 years ago

Hi all,

I am planning to plant the green beans seeds. I have some fresh beans with me. Can I plant the seeds from it ? Will it grow? I have made a research and I've seen that it can be grown from mature beans only which dries in the plant itself. But I want to know if I can plant from the seeds of the beans I've bought from grocery?? All of ur suggestions really helps me.

Comments (6)

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

No you need a seed that has matured and it was probably picked at an immature stage. Now with that said...you can always try but the truth is it probably won't grow.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

If those snap beans are fairly well developed, as in, if, in them, you can find immature seeds which seem fairly fat, then you could probably dry the pods and get some seed to germinate. This would especially be true if you got that seed into the ground, under good conditions, right as soon as they are dry.

But really, unless you are set on "capturing" that particular variety, and know of no other way, it would be more practical and secure, to simply purchase some good seed. That way you can know more about the plant habit, etc.

Still, if you want to experiment... go for it, and let us know how it works.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    14 years ago

Macmex, why is the drying suggested? Does it allow time for the seed to mature or does it get rid of something that inhibits germination, or does it do something else? Why is it better than planting the undried bean directly?

• P POD
    14 years ago

You could make an experiment.

Plant a number of fresh, undried beans seeds in a clear container w/drain holes. Plant the seeds so you can see their progress through the clear sides. Keep moist, but not wet. Leave on your window sill in front of your kitchen sink, or elsewhere where you can easily keep track of developments, and see what happens.

In another clear container, plant a control group of dried bean seeds and follow their progress.

You should probably plant as many fresh seeds as dried seeds.

Have fun!

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

If the fresh snap beans were fit to eat -- crisp, meaty, and tender and hadn't gotten leathery, tough, and inedible -- and if the seeds inside were small and tender rather than large, tough, and mealy (when cooked), then the seeds from the grocery store beans are not mature and are unlikely to grow.

Shell beans or fresh limas might work, because those are left to mature well past the snap bean stage though not all the way to the dry bean stage. But the seeds inside a snap bean that was picked at the proper time are just babies.

Additionally, the commercial varieties are unsuited for home gardens because instead of yielding a moderate quantity of beans over time they mature their entire crop all at once then die.

While that suits farmers raising beans for mechanical picking, the only home gardeners who would be likely to want that trait would be those growing with the intent of canning and/or freezing large quantities over a short period of time.

You'll save yourself a lot of frustration by going to a garden center, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. and buying bean seeds that have been grown to maturity, carefully stored, and tested for germination.

Good luck. :-)

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

or buy a bag of dried beans that you like....cook some and plant the rest...

Sponsored