Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unclejohn_gw

Trellis for Bush Varieties (peas and beans)?

UncleJohn
16 years ago

I am growing three varieties of peas this year, all are short-vine varieties (Sugar Ann, Sugar Sprint, and Snow Green) listed as not needing support. I recently read something to the effect that bush peas can benefit from support, even though they do not *need* it: they will produce more and better, and harvesting is easier. There was no mention as to how much, or what type of support was recommended. Would a 30" vertical trellis be enough? Would a pair of oppsing incline trellises for each row be better? Any other recommendations for supporting bush-type peas (or for just letting them lay)?

Similarly, last year I grew several types of bush beans. When I noticed that my (supposedly bush) Topaz Pinto beans were sending out runners, I erected a trellis for them and they seemed to benefit from it. Provider and Red Kidney dis not need support. I am growing many new varieties of bush beans (Adzuki, Tongues of Fire, Black Coco, Calypso, Lina Cisco's Bird Egg, Peregion, Scarlet Beauty, and Tiger Eye) this year and am wondering if there is any way to anticipate which might also benefit from support.

Thanks...

-John

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County