Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many beans on a plant?

Posted by dianega 7 - ATL (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 10:56

This is a dumb newbie question, but roughly how many beans grow on each bush bean plant? I'm growing Dragon Tongue, and no idea how many I should plant. Ex. how many plants would it take to produce a good bowlful for a family of 4?

I plan on some additional plantings since I am under the impression that they bear the beans all at once.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many beans on a plant?

Hello. I am no expert but can only reply from experience. Bush beans will produce a couple of times then when it is really hot not produce at all.

last year I planted 9 bush bean plants. I easily picked a nice sized bowl 2x a week for about 2 months.

o

Dianega,

Dragon Tongue is one bush bean that doesn't produce all at once. For me, it keeps producing all the way until a killing frost.

I really don't know how it will do in your southern heat, so I also don't know how many plants you would need.

I hope they do well for you. If not, I recommend "Rattlesnake", a super productive pole bean, that can really take the heat.

Gary

o

Plan on planting a row about 20 feet long with 2 plants per foot to have enough beans to serve one meal per day. Wait 3 or 4 weeks and plant another row the same length. They will overlap so for a while you will have more beans than you need. Freezing is a good way to handle the excess.

DarJones

o

from own experience and a lot of reading from tests state agricultural agencies (similar to extension offices in the USA - they are run by the states here in Germany): bush bean yields are 2 to 2.5 kg per sq meter over a period of 3 or more weeks. I always grow rows 1 foot apart 3 seeds per foot, either 1 every 4 inches or in groups of 3 every foot. In 1 pdf I read that commercial growers like 34 plants per square meter, my pattern is at 33.3, so not that far away.
The 20 feet row fusion_power suggested would (with that yields) give you 8 to 10 pounds of beans over let's say 3 weeks.
A rule of thumb: pole beans give 3 times the yield on the same space as bush beans over a longer time.
There might be some higher yielding beans like sandyman's - 2 bowls a week on nine plants would my pole beans make very proud, my bush beans cannot even dream of this.
And fusion_power has the best plan: stagger bush beans, every 3 weeks another crop and there will be beans galore. And snap beans freeze so easily: blanch a few minutes, chill with water, let them cool down and into the bag they go ---> deep freeze.

good luck and a big harvest
Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here