Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_la

Gulfcoast - Edamame (soybean)

ladybug_la
13 years ago

My favorite snack is steamed Edamame. Does anyone grow this on the Gulfcoast? What variety does good here? Where do you get the seeds for that? What kind of soil/water/feeding is required for success with Edamame?

Thanks...

Comments (12)

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

It is an edible soybean. Field soybeans grow well in the south. They have a long season three to four months which would not be a problem for you. Any reasonable garden soil, plant 3-4 inches apart, one inch deep, in rows about 18 inches apart. Johnny's has three varieties. For more choices look at an Asian seed vendor like Evergreen or Kitazawa.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

I got mine from Southern exposure seed exchange, they call it Lanco edamame soybean. However, I have not sown it yet, so I cannot tell you how it does. I do plan on putting some seeds in the soil within the next few weeks.

In any case, southern exposure specializes in southern varieties, so it might be worth for you to take a look. I got my green glaze collards from them and I loved them! Wrong forum, but thanks Farmerdilla for the recommendation! (letting some go to seed to save some seed now).

• ladybug_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cabrita: They call Virginia the South LOL. But, the varietie they show are "suitable for Mid-Atlantic region". And I live in the Gulf South in Louisiana. I don't think we have the same kind of weather.

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

True, Virginia has several climates, but none as warm as the Louisiana Gulf coast. Soybeans are a major crop in the lower Piedmont and coastal(tidewater) regions. Southern Exposure is not my favorite company, but they do have three varieties of edible soybean (Edamame) with growing times running in the 4 month category. There are earlier varieties. Any of them should do well in Louisiana. They are not well known varieties tho, if that is important to you. By the way I am a native Virginian.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Virginia is the south since they were on the side of the south during the civil war....LOL (sorry I could not resist).

When I ordered the seeds there was a problem with my credit card so the order was delayed. I called them and told them hey, it will be too late to plant collards here soon! they said, but we still have snow! snow???? Different south...

I understand your concern, I am in southern California but my zone is like yours (9b) and I garden in Lousiana sometimes too (to help my FIL). Our planting times are pretty similar, but we have very dry summers, that is one difference. I grew soy beans in my 9b home garden and they grew pretty well, however, they were not the edamame type, so I will try the new seed I got from SE. I had to water them of course, you might not have to? I have not grown soy beans in New Orleans since there is no demand for them from the folks that will eat the vegetables there. My guess is that they will do well in Louisiana. Farmerdilla says they grow well in the south south (the real south?), he has lots of experience and is closer to you.

• ladybug_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Cabrita & farmerdilla. I love Edamame... Favorite high protein snack for a vegetarian. So, I will try one of the selections next year.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Soybeans are sensitive to day length, so specific varieties tend to be best acclimated to certain latitudes. Doesn't mean that varieties bred for the North won't bear, just that they may not yield to their full potential.

The National Soybean Research Laboratory (closely affiliated with the USDA's soybean repository in Urbana, Illinois) breaks soybeans soybeans into 13 "maturity groups", with groups VII, VIII, and IX suitable for Southern regions.

I would second the recommendation for "Lanco", since I have tried it here, and it seems suited to a much longer growing season than my own. I would also recommend checking Jimster's "Free soybeans" thread; some of the varieties offered to the public by the NSRL are long season, such as "Gardensoy 41", which is also the largest-seeded variety they offer.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Well, I just planted some 'Lanco' edamame over the weekend. I really liked the look of the seeds, the greenest and largest soy beans I have seen yet in dried form. I grew gardensoy #41 last year, and the Lanco seeds are quite a bit larger. Much different color too.

Farmerdilla, I was wondering if you have a recommendation for (another) seed company that specializes in southern crops. The interaction with SE was not ideal, however, they sell green glaze collards (among others) purple hull 'pink eye' peas and the Lanco soy beans. I found the emerald glaze okra from Reimer seeds (not ideal either, some of their seeds for artichokes did not germinate at all). I am now letting my green glaze collards flower (and seed) hopefully I will collect lots of seeds and share. Ooops, I am getting away from beans here.....

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

With the exception of the "heirloom" outfits most regular vendors get their seeds from the same sources so there really any one that specializes. Seeds for the South http://www.seedsforthesouth.com/ claims to offer only varieties suited for the south. The best way is to select varieties which were developed for a region. I get most of my locally, or from Twilley http://www.twilleyseed.com/ or Willhite http://www.willhiteseed.com/about.php. Lanco is a Pennsylvania cultivar and Southern Exposure is the only company carrying it that I know about. Asmara is a local Virginia cultivar,as is Owen. The story on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Edamame

• Macmex
    13 years ago

For over a decade I gardened in Mexico, roughly at the 20th parallel. There, I tried to grow soy for a number of years. Nothing I purchased commercially would grow more than a few inches tall before going to seed and dying. This was due to day length sensitivity of Northern adapted seed. Finally, I found Kahala (Kohala) soy, through the Seed Savers Exchange. It grew beautifully, that far South. Since then, I've grown it in NJ and OK as well, and it does fine!

If you find a soy listed as a "hay type" soy, I suspect it might do alright in the deep South.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Macmex, I am glad you posted this. Kahala or Kohala, I have some of this seed (thank you!). I will have a spot available in a couple of weeks after I harvest the last of the favas. It will be far enough from the Lanco so they should not cross. Very curious to see how it does. I was also wondering how you and other folks cook the non-edamame varieties of soy beans. We used ours in a rice dish, just like one would use fresh baby limas, they were good this way.

Farmerdilla, thanks for the link! have you grown any of these varieties yourself? they sure sound good.

• Macmex
    13 years ago

I'm far from a soy expert. I've used my soy for tofu, soy meal & "coffee."

George

Sponsored