Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap, easy, homemade bean support?

Posted by alisande Zone 4b (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 11:28

I've been searching the forum for ideas I can use to support my pole beans this year, but without pictures I'm lost. I guess I don't understand the terminology. For instance, if you use homemade teepees, how many saplings/branches are needed, and how do you keep them from blowing over?

We had a freeze last week, but I have the feeling everything is going to warm up quickly and all of a sudden I'll have to get the seeds in the ground. I'd like to get something in place by the end of the month if possible.

I'll be growing Kentucky Wonders (and Fortex, if I can find them).

I appreciate your help--thanks!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap, easy, homemade bean support?

Hi Susan,

Did you happen to see the thread started by Jimster? It might give you some ideas.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Me Your Trellis thread

o

Thank you for linking me to that thread, Rick. I've been reading it, following its links, and giving this a lot of thought. The cattle panel arch looks very appealing!

Susan

o

I was mesmerized by all the beautiful arches, and as of this afternoon I have my very own cattle panel, bent in half with the edges temporarily tied at the bottom, plus four "U-posts," which is what the store recommended I use to anchor my arch.

I'm probably about to validate dumb-blonde jokes, but what do I do now? How does one go about setting it up? Does a post go in the ground first, and then a corner of the arch attached to it? And when we cut the ties at the bottom, will the panel stay more or less bent? (I leaned on it, so the bend is pretty distinct.) I'm surprised at how heavy the panel is. I'm thinking maybe this is a two-person job.

I can hear the jokes now......How many blondes does it take to set up a cattle panel? LOL

Your help is appreciated thanks!!

Susan

o

Susan, It is a two person job so don't try to do it by yourself. If you are very strong, you might be able to handle it, but it will be much safer to work with a second person. I don't know what U posts are so I am not any help there. We did ours with short t-posts. One person held the arch in place and the other one drove two poles on the same side and wired them at the top of the post and just above the ground. Once one side was secure we bent it in and held it while the next t-post went in and were wired. We formed ours into a little different shape, a little more gothic, on the ground before starting installing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here