Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stringless Blue Lake S-7 pole & Blue Lake Bush 274

Posted by tatton95 5 UT (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 11:37

I am looking for feedback on how Stringless Blue Lake S-7 pole bean and Blue Lake Bush 274 compare to other pole and bush beans. If you have grown these I would be interested in knowing what you thought of them. Thank you.

Brett

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stringless Blue Lake S-7 pole & Blue Lake Bush 274

I've always grown the bush and I love them. This year I'm trying the poles. They are growing like crazy but it will be a few weeks before harvest time. If they taste the same and are easier to pick I will keep growing them. I have a short row of bush just in case!

o

I haven't grown the pole beans but I grew the bush Blue Lake last year and really liked them. I only had 6 plants but I have to say they were a pretty good producer. My neighbor grew pole beans last year but didn't get a single bean off the plants (he said it was due to the heat). This year I am trying Early Contender bush beans and I have to say I really like them. I planted like 50 plants and have already picked like 4 gallon containers full so far.

Some of my bounty so far

o

I should have made a taller trellis, it's 6' and they are getting taller than that! They are blooming, which is very early here.

SneakyP86, I'm jealous! I guess your 7b is different to my 7b! I might try some Early Contender it's not too late and I have plenty of room!

o

Wertach I'm outside of Atlanta, I would I've eaten them a couple times and do like the taste of them quite a bit.

o

You are a little more south than me, plus you probably get extra heat from hotlanta! I'm 17 miles south of Greenville SC.

I guess the Early Contender is actually earlier! My bush Blue Lake beans usually started producing about the last week of May and it looks like the poles are going to do the same. Even though they were planted very early this year, a week before Easter.

o

I just went out and checked them, I've got baby beans!

I also have an old flower bed that is next to the "old" house that belonged to my parents, actually part of the house. My 6 year old niece was helping me plant my tomato seeds months ago and she disappeared. When she came back she told me that she planted some beans for PawPaw.

They came up and I got 18 beans off of them today. Road trip, I'm taking them to my niece in a little while. Her Mom is going to hate me, because she will have to figure out how to cook 18 beans! LOL

o

tatton95- I hope to see some answers to your question as well. As soon as the peas are done, I'm planting Blue Lake bush beans for the first time. Got some from a friend last year and enjoyed them.

wertach- Please follow up with your observations when yours come in. A side by side comparison will be helpful with next years plans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here