Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frustrated with clogged bean poles

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 11:57

Hi all,
This year, for my pole beans, I was trying to stabilize my galvanized conduit bean poles, by setting them over a concrete reinforcing wire post. I haven't used these poles in about 20 years. Well, I used to just stick them in the ground and they are filled with rock-hard soil. I've tried everything to get the hard soil out, and I can only go so far. There's no sense in threading them over the CRW posts, if I can only got 7". Grrrrrrr.......
Should I give up, or do some of you know some sort of trick to clean these out?
Of course I'm shooting a stream of water in there to try to soften it up. I've used a drill bit, screwdriver, and other assorted stuff, but I can't get up far enough. Any suggestions? I've wasted way too much time on this! Maybe I should just go to plan B....which is just pushing them in the ground again.??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frustrated with clogged bean poles

Well, I let them sit for a couple hours. Then I went out with a longer screwdriver I found, and was able to get the rest of the stuff out. YAY! I guess its just a slow process........of adding water a little at a time to soften it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here