Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Hull Peas in Central California - disease or deficiency?

Posted by cgoodloe 8a (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 12:20

My peas are looking horrible. The leaves that are coming out are deformed and have yellow spots. They look like they are deficient in some mineral or got some kind of stunt growth disease. I'm looking for someone who can tell me what this is so I can fix the soil or whatever I need to do. The soil is hard when it's dry. I think they call it hard pan here in Fresno area. But when went it's like muddy clay. It appears to have some sand in it though. I added compost at the time of planting with the seeds. I added some organic fertilizer made of chicken manure, meal mixes, and other stuff as things started to come up. Have I poisoned my peas? I can send a picture if anyone wants to email me to take a look. carlagoodloe@hotmail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Hull Peas in Central California - disease or deficienc

Is this happening on very young plants?

I've found that the first few leaves of my PPH plants are always yellow. The first time it happened I suspected a nitrogen deficiency and gave them a dose of soluble fertilizer, which appeared to solve the problem. Now I believe the yellowing is a normal thing which goes away after the initial burst of growth and requires no intervention.

Jim

o

Yes on young plants. I thought maybe it was mosaic and to me it does look like mosaic. Guess I'll wait and see what happens. Not all the plants are affected. It's not on the limas or green beans. Just the peas.

o

i think it will do you well to check out episodes one and two of my garden blog. they are about 2 minutes long

I had horrible luck with growing peas in florida--when i moved to arizona, my luck didnt get any better--however i did learn that peas only require ONE INCH OF WATER PER WEEK. i can't believe it, but i havent watered my pea plant since i've learned this and there is no wilting, and it is growing great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Arizona: Episode 1

o

You may have provided too much nitrogen
I use very little as I inoculate all legume seeds before planting
The microbes provide all the nitrogen they will need
Charlie

o

I no longer live at the place I had the problem. I have not tried purple hull peas at my new home. I will next year. I have no problems with green beans at this house so I hope it was just a bad soil issue. I was able to grow canteloupe here but not there as well. Tomatoes also did very well here compared to the old house location.

o

Charlie,

I've had questions about nitrogen fixing by legumes. I know legumes fix nitrogen and that the nitrogen can be beneficial. But, at what stage of growth does the nitrogen become available? Is the total nitrogen requirement provided by the plants own nodules?

The article linked below provides the best answers I have found to such questions.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Nitrogen FIxation By Legumes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here