Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hementia8

first pick of year

hementia8
9 years ago

Hopefully we get a good crop despite the high temps.
We were about a month late in planting because of the late freeze and floods we had in Mar and early Apr.
A few from GOOSE,KWINTUS,GRANDMA ROERTS and LA.PURPLE POD.
Hopefully 65 more to go
Charlie

Comments (10)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Wiping the drool of my keyboard, those look so good. It's going to be a few days but we'll be able to have a taste of the Little White Rice I'm growing in the greenhouse, again leaving most for seed :(.
    Just getting my beans in the garden this last week, all started in the greenhouse and planted out once they have their true leaves, we're having a devil of a time with snails this year.

Annette

• dlsm
    9 years ago

Charlie, you are looking good. After all the bad weather you guys had during the normal planting season.

Luther

• hementia8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette they were really delicious
    Notting like fresh beans
    Luther,we are getting another one now
    I guess it is better than the drought out west
    Charlie

• hementia8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still raining here every day
    No sign of slugs or snails thankfully
    I guess because of the great number of toad and frog hatch.
    Having problem with white flies
    They are on everything including the beans,weeds,other vegetales and trees
    This is the worst I have seen
    I had a problem with them a few years ago and the state garden inspector brougt me some gardenias that had white flies that were infected with a preditory wasp
    I guess I need to find out their name and acquire more
    Charlie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about the white fly problem they're a b..... to get rid of. I'm lucky, The Bug Factory is just a short drive up the highway from us, I've used their ladybugs and beneficial nematodes at times with good results, so far I haven't had to deal with white fly, not saying that they're not just waiting around the corner for a sneak attack.
    I never thought to ask their solution to slugs and snails, along with copper mesh, stale beer and slug pellets I'm still using the heel of my boot with an almost sadistic satisfaction. Not a bean but the little sods got one of the two Nicotiana sylvestris plants I forgot to cover last night.

Annette

• tracydr
    9 years ago

Just cooked my first batch of home grown beans. Had Bush Blue Lake and what is supposed to be pinkeye purple hull, but which actually has green hulls and orange blossoms. Had some as Shelly beans and some snaps.
    Fabulous!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Well my first pick has been favas - just shows you the contrast in climate. The runner beans are not even up their poles and flowering yet. And the bush beans have still to germinate - if the mice and slugs don't get them first.

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

I had my first beans yesterday, a small picking from Turkey Craw. They were delicious with very good beany flavor. With 5 rows of beans each about 110 feet long, I should have more beans than I know what to do with by the end of the season.

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

I picked 40 pounds of Contender bush beans Saturday. 200 row feet, 5 hours. Spent 7 hours Sunday plucking stems off while watching TV. Hope to get them canned this week in the evenings.

• hementia8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First pick of trialed Jackson Wonder Pole
    We had them for dinner last night mixed with some shell beans
    Most of the other butterean var. should be in their peak by next week
    Charlie

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz