Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Pole bean climbing

anney
14 years ago

Do all pole beans climb the same way? Do the tendrils or vines all wrap in the same directions, peas, beans including limas, etc.?

My wax beans are eagerly grabbing the trellis about 5 inches away from most of them, and I think they're growing counter-clockwise, hard to say the direction when you look at them sideways! But my Fortex beans are acting lost, growing long top shoots and tendrils but apparently not interested in attaching themselves to the trellis. I do recall reading that they need some "training" to climb trellises, so I guess I'm going to have to give them some guidance. I'm just wondering which way they'll wrap, too. And whether my pole limas will wrap in the same direction. Just curious...

And do you suppose many vining bean plants can "find" a trellis by the shadow it casts?

Comments (10)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

All the twining beans climb counter clockwise, at least in the northern hemisphere. Tendril climbers like peas, cukes etc are a different matter.

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, farmerdilla.

I am a sucker for "old" gardening advice, and the author of the book below suggests tying pole limas to the trellis if they don't climb well. So I guess I'll need to keep an eye on the Willow Leafs I'll plant out this weekend to see if they have any trouble climbing, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I know about farming -- lima beans

• jimster
    14 years ago

This is an interesting subject which came up about a year ago. I watched my beans grow and, sure enough, they spiraled counterclockwise (viewed from above). The vines are quite good at finding support. Sometimes, if they seem to be groping in thin air, I give them a little help.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Climbing

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jimster

Thanks. What a fascinating discussion! Even if genetics is the base cause of the spiral-direction, wouldn't the position of the sun, north-south, play a part in it, too? Maybe not. I guess the last word isn't in on it yet.

I'll be interested to see how my limas spiral.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

One theory is the Coriolis effect, the same thing that makes the water in the drain spin in the same dirction each time. I don't know having never observed in the southern hemisphere.

• acomfort
    14 years ago

From a bird's eye, view my Scarlet Runner Beans climb counterclockwise, or if you prefer, they climb clockwise from a worms eye view.

I have had very good luck with Runner beans but I have replanted them every year as I didn't realize that they were perennial. What is the proper procedure for preparing the old crop for the following year? Should I just leave them as is, cut them off a couple inches above the ground or other?

We do not get hard freezing weather here. I live near San Francisco with weather extremes from +25F to 100F. I think Runners are a fantastic addition to a tiny back yard.

Use the link too see the 2008 crop.

Thanks for the help - Arlen

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Runner Beans

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

Pole beans actually do grope thru thin air looking for support. Time lapse photography clearly shows this. Each vine swirls in a circle much like a cowboy with a lasso. Coriolis has nothing to do with this since there is no latitude differential. And drains, bathtubs and toilets don't spin one way or the other due to Coriolis either. This is an urban legend. The effect is so weak over the width of a sink, or whatever, that tiny disturbances within the sink itself easily overwhelm the Coriolis effect. Now we're on a new topic.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Arlen, I am also growing the scarlet runners as perennials, however this will be my first year. I will do what I do with all my other perennial crops, prune it drastically, keep watering it but otherwise ignore it until it comes back in the spring. I plan on keeping seed and sending it to some folks in the Bay Area, I think San Francisco would have and ideal climate for runner beans, always cool or mild, but never cold or hot.

So I have been pondering this question, and I went out and checked how my pole beans were climbing.

Al the P. vulgaris are climbing counter clock wise. That would be Garafal oro, Kentucky wonder, Purple peacock.

The scarlet runner is also climbing counter clock wise.

The pole limas (P lunatus) is also climbing counter clock wise (all these are bird's eye view). I have Carolina limas and Christmas limas planted so far.

I also have a pole cow pea (yard long), that is yet another species, but it still has not figured out how to climb. I think they are too cold, hopefully it will warm up soon. I suspect it will be the same though....

• happyday
    14 years ago

Arlen, great photos!

When you pulled out the vines in the past, what did you notice about the root? Was it like a potato or jicama? Did you try eating it?

• jimster
    14 years ago

Arlen,

I enjoyed those pics. Especially, numbers one and two (wow!, the harvest (shelling out dry beans is so satisfying) and your self portrait, (we don't often get to see our forum friends).

Jim

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner