Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

Will pole beans climb plastic baler twine?

macky77
11 years ago

I saw numerous references to binder twine when I searched for the answer to my question before posting. In the pictures that were posted, though, I only saw the natural-looking baler twine used. People said it worked very well.

My in-laws farm and my FIL gave us an extra roll of his orange (polyproylene?) binder twine years ago and we still have much of the roll (which I think our kids will still be using after we're gone, LOL). Will pole beans climb this stuff or is it too slick?

I'll be using 8' poles cut in previous years for the main structure. This year, instead of teepees, I'd like to spread them out so they don't get so congested at the top. The poles will remain every two feet, but they'll be tied to a pole at the top instead and the plan would be to run strings in between (to save me having to find and cut a zillion more poles from our bushes). As per recommendations from other threads, I'll be spacing the Fortex and Emerite beans every 6" and the others, Painted Lady and Purple Peacock, every 12". One string per plant or more?

Comments (9)

Sponsored