Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

San Antonio Pole Beans

Has anyone grown 'San Antonio' pole beans, how do you like them?

The description I found online is...It's similar to 'Soldier Beans' and 'Nun's Belly Button' but these are much larger, plump, rounded and kind of egg shaped.

San Antonio

The plants have enormous leaves and climb freely. It produces large, wide, flat green pods which turn pale yellow when fully mature. You can eat the pods when young but it's more suited to producing shelly beans, fresh or dried. The beans are huge when fresh. Overall yields are about average. They keep their hilum marking when cooked but it turns more of a dark grey color. Flavor is nice and the texture slightly dry and mealy but full of substance.

I germinated 4 of the 8 seeds I have, they're up and ready to plant out, now to find a spot :).

Annette

Comments (2)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally found a spot for them, one of my borders is now minus a few flowers:). I'll come back later with how they do for me and hopefully have a few seeds to share.

Annette

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of the four I planted some little blighter came along and chewed two off but I did get some seed and have a few more pods still to pick. When dry the pod is still quite thick, I haven't tried it as a green bean wanting to save all for seed. I'll grow it again next and should have some seed to share.The pic below shows pod in the shelly stage, shellies and dried.

Annette

Sponsored