Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Maine Beans

Posted by bon100 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 13:10

Im looking the following beans. They are grown widely in Maine, but I cannot find any seed here in CT. My ancesters were all from Maine, and I'd like to be able to grow some of their traditional beans. These beans were used primarily for baked beans (bean-hole-beans).

Marifax Bean
Soldier Bean
Maine Yellow Eye Bean

If anyone has any of these beans and would like to trade, I have many, many types of vegetable seeds and would be happy to trade for some bean seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Maine Beans

I don't have these particular beans, but Fedco Seed in Waterville, ME carries Marbell and Soldier. They did carry Yellow Eye, but replaced it a few years ago with Kenearly. Might be worth a look.

Good luck

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Fedco Seed search

o

Soldier Beans and Yellow Eyes are usually available at the supermarkets here. E-mail an address and I will send some.

Jim

o

Thank you both, I will look into FEDCO seeds.
Do beans from the grocery store germintate well?

o

I went to FEDCO and was able to order some Marifax beans. Whohoo! I can't wait to plant them.
Thanks, Rick

o

"Do beans from the grocery store germintate well?"

Normally they do. I'll test these and let you know.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here