Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aeron Purple Star

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 13:17

I just received these in the mail this morning, 'Aeron Purple Star' a new purple podded runner bean bred by a fellow in Wales. As I've mentioned before I grew up eating runner beans in fact that was the only fresh bean my family grew. I'm so looking forward to growing these, reported to be fleshy and totally stringless, Yum. The lilac/purple on the seed coat looks to be a little darker than what I'm used to seeing. I've attached a picture of the seed and a link about Aeron Purple Star.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeron Purple Star

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aeron Purple Star

You lucky girl! They look fantastic. Please put me on your list for a few of these this fall.

o

I started 4 in the greenhouse and will grow them on for a bit before planting out, I'm saving most of the seed for next year, just in case it's too late for seed this year but I'll definitely keep you in mind if I manage to save a few seeds :).

Annette

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Wed, May 28, 14 at 10:52

Annette, those are a different type of seed. Hope they do good for you. Another bean for your collection. Hope you can grow bunches of them.

Luther

o

Just a thought... The growing instructions for these were to plant the seed vertically... "The small ‘nib’ on the scar of the bean seed should always point downwards" for uniform germination. This I did, I only started 4 seeds as it was a little late in the season for starting beans, at least it is for me. I planted them in 3" plastic pots, 4 days later they all popped through together, grew and are growing at the same uniform rate. Does this only pertain to runners or will it work with other types of beans?

I found that I have space for 4 more plants of 'Flamingo' so I just started 4 more seeds in a 4pack the same way I planted the runners, to see if they will do the same. I might not get seed from these 4 plants with this late start but we should get to eat the beans :). If this works I'll try it with more of my beans next year.

Annette

o

Well....I've grown lots of different runners in my day but I can hardly believe the growth rate of these guys. Started the seed on the evening of May 27th and they are now over 4 feet up the trellis, talk about vigorous growers, I can also see the little bumps in the leaf axils where the flowers are forming. I can hardly wait for the first taste :).

As to the 4 Flamingo beans I planted the same way as I did the runners, they all did pop through at the same time.

Annette

o

Hi Annette
Rob from GArdeners Chat Shed here, AKA King Tommy.

I'm growing these for the first time this year and am very pleased with their rate of growth and vigour. Without going over-board, I would say that these are the tenderest and sweetest flavoured runners I have ever tasted. I took a maturing one to our local gastro pub (they have quite a lot of my unusual fruits and vege's) and Toby, the head chef, was astonished at how tender, for a large bean, they are, describing them as completely stringless with a slight hint of apple; no wonder he took all the 'normal' sized ones off me.

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

o

Thank you for your kind comments everyone!

I hope my Aeron Purple Star becomes a firm favourite with you. It's been a 'labour of love' and there's absolutely no commercial interests involved. The seeds are freely available from me (numbers are limited so it's a 'first come first served arrangement'). If you save (isolated) pure bred seeds then feel free to pass them on, the only stipulation that I make is that they are only shared on a free amateur basis & that you retain the name "AERON PURPLE STAR".

More info at: www.aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/aeronpurplestar .

I would welcome ALL feedback at www.gardenerschat-shed.net/forum

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: CLICK HERE for more info on the Aeron Purple Star

This post was edited by Big_Gee on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 8:58

o

Here is an image of the Aeron Purple Star bean seeds - no offense Annette your photo is great, but the colours are a tad out.

o

Well, great to 'see' you two here, stick around they're a great bunch on this forum.

Gee, picky, picky, picky LOL. I took the picture of your seed indoors under artificial light so the colour might look a little off but I will say it is a little different from the other runners I have with that purply colour pattern.
My Aeron Purple Stars are blooming their fool heads off right now but I expect the flowers will fall until the temperature drops a bit which is expected to do so this weekend. We've had some temps in the 90's this past week, not liking it much, in fact other than running out and dragging the hose around getting everything watered, I've been hiding in the house plunked in front of the telly watching the last season of 'Doc Martin'.

Rob, I'm so looking forward to growing 'District Nurse' (it was one of the ones I was still looking for) and your WSCTT's ( that's going to get a few people guessing :) Now, if I can find a few seeds of 'Bob and Mary' and Sarah's Old fashioned Black' I'll be a happy camper. Have a look at my list in this thread, these are the ones I'm growing this year and I'd rather send fresh seed in the fall than ones in my bean stash.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg1210025124407.html?18

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 11:25

o

Ha ha - I'll forgive you Annette!

Thanks once again for the fresh supply of the Cherokee Trail of Tears. I hope they'll make it to maturity before the first frosts!

o

Another runner that will form beans in warmer weather? You bettcha. We've had temps up in the ninties this past week, a tad cooler at night but still.... I have been putting the sprinkler on them after supper for about 15 minutes to cool things down, triggering pollination, maybe. I've got beans :).
Hopefully next year when I'm growing more than the 4 plants that I am now, I'll have a few seeds to share this side of the pond. But, this will be only after I get the go ahead from Big Gee and only to those who are willing to abide by his wishes.
At this time he wants to keep them only in the hands of amateur growers and not sold for profit. So unfortunately I can't fill any requests until then :(.

Annette

o

I think our little heat wave is over, looking forward to more flowers and hopefully a few more beans. Being planted late and not in the best possible spot I am very pleased with what they are producing. Haven't tasted any yet as I've been leaving them all for seed. The beans in the pictures are just under 12" long, not as long as the ones grown on the other side of the pond but mine weren't grown in ideal conditions. Next year with better care I'm hoping they'll grow longer. Hopefully I'll have enough seed to share in the fall of 2015.
Annette

o

This is really tempting, especially as I have been on a purple podded kick recently. No rush on the seed though. I'm already behind on my runner bean grow outs, the next couple years will be spent replenishing old stock.

But then, if I break down & buy the seed storage freezer I've been planning, all bets are off. ;-)

o

Whenever you're ready to request a few bean seeds then just pop over to my Aeron Purple Star request page Zeedman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeron Purple Star request page

o

View the feedback & comments or post a comment yourself if you've had some bean seeds off me & grown them

Here is a link that might be useful: COMMENTS : FEEDBACK : REVIEWS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here