Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summer_squash

Frozen Beans

Summer_Squash
9 years ago

It's my first time really having a garden, so I just started with a single row of 6 (pretty pathetic, I know) for most crops, including my bush beans. I've since planted over 30 more bean and pea plants. The first 6 beans were looking really good, but about a week after I put them in the ground there was a light freeze. I wasn't expecting temps below 38 degrees, so I just covered them up with a bucket, which was not enough. Most of the leaves on the beans (which only had two big leaves at the time) froze off. One bean was dead the morning after, but the rest appeared alive with dead leaves. I am wondering if I should give up on these beans and just replace them.

I attached four photos. The first one is of the two week old bean seedlings I have for comparison. The second if of the bean plants who lost their main leaves. The third is one that has a bit of a better view of the leaves that would have come up had the freeze not happened, and the fourth is one of the beans whose leaves look fine.

(And I really don't know how to add multiple photos, so I'll reply with the rest of the photos in individual posts.)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus