Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

Pole bean and soil

kek19
16 years ago

I posted this exact same question on the veggy garden board, never realized there was a board for beans.

I've read that pole beans will grow just about anywhere. Many people say if you have a spot with poor soil, plant them there and they will improve the soil. Now I have poor soil pretty much everywhere, but things seem to grow fine anyways. My question is, I decided to move my pole bean teepee away from the orchard (if any remember that issue, never was able to find out if it would be safe)and the only place I have to plant it is where our walk out slider is. Problem being, the "soil" if you can call it that, is bad, really bad. As in red clay, with about a half an inch sand on top. Now, recently grass has spread down there, and there are quite a few weeds that will grow. But will pole beans grow there? What should I used to ammend the soil to ensure they'll grow?

(BTW, I planted some morning glory seedlings down there to grow up the retaining wall, and after 3 wks, their not dead :) )

Comments (2)

Sponsored