Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole bean and soil

Posted by kek19 5b-Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 13:36

I posted this exact same question on the veggy garden board, never realized there was a board for beans.

I've read that pole beans will grow just about anywhere. Many people say if you have a spot with poor soil, plant them there and they will improve the soil. Now I have poor soil pretty much everywhere, but things seem to grow fine anyways. My question is, I decided to move my pole bean teepee away from the orchard (if any remember that issue, never was able to find out if it would be safe)and the only place I have to plant it is where our walk out slider is. Problem being, the "soil" if you can call it that, is bad, really bad. As in red clay, with about a half an inch sand on top. Now, recently grass has spread down there, and there are quite a few weeds that will grow. But will pole beans grow there? What should I used to ammend the soil to ensure they'll grow?

(BTW, I planted some morning glory seedlings down there to grow up the retaining wall, and after 3 wks, their not dead :) )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole bean and soil

If you have any really well rotted compost you could work that in before planting. But be careful not to get too much nitrogen worked in. That can cause your beans to make a lot of leaves and little or no beans.

Actually, unless I just had some great well composted stuff right on hand, here's what I would do. I'd fork that soil up and plant. If I knew my soil was acidic, I'd throw some lime on there. But I'd get'em planted since time is of the essence (especially, I would imagine, in your growing zone). Then, when the beans are up and growing well, I'd mulch. That mulch will rot down and you can even add to it later in the season. By next spring you'd be surprized how much the soil will have improved.

George
Tahlaquah, OK

o
RE: Pole bean and soil

• Posted by kek19 5b-Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 07 at 15:29

I have humus and manure, I was considering mixing in a small amount, but am afraid that would be too much nitrogen. I've done a ph test on the yard, it ranged from 6.5-7, but not there. I'll go do one asap. I really want to get these guys planted, hopefully today!!

Thanks George for your imput!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here