Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus Bean (Yard Long) Taste

Posted by susancol 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 13:37

I LOVE Asparagus. I HATE Green beans and most snap beans. It's not a texture thing, though, so I wonder, would I like Asparagus beans? Do they taste more like asparagus or snap beans? Obviously, I'll have to try some to find out. But which variety has the most asparagus taste?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus Bean (Yard Long) Taste

Asparagus beans don't taste at all like asparagus. I'm not quite sure how they got that name. Most who complain about them, however, seem to complain that they don't taste enough like the snap beans they love. I'm not sure what to tell you. I like them both.

George
Tahlequah,OK

o
RE: Asparagus Bean (Yard Long) Taste

There is considerable difference in taste between long bean varieties... which is why I prefer to call them "yardlongs", or long beans, rather than asparagus beans. Only one variety that I grow really tastes like asparagus.

That variety is a black-seeded, dark green podded variety that I obtained through a friend 10 years ago. She thought she had obtained it from Jung's in the early 90's; it may be "Liana", or something very similar. It really does taste like asparagus when lightly cooked. It is also the earliest & most prolific of my yardlongs.

I remember the "asparagus bean" being listed in seed catalogs when I was young... I won't say how long ago that was. ;-) That particular variety was probably named for its taste, at a time when other cultivars were not available. Now, when many other long beans are available, "asparagus" still stuck.

Other yardlongs have a nutty flavor, some are slightly sweet, others very mild. I even have one that looks & tastes much like a snap bean... except it is over two feet long.

Yardlongs have a delicate flavor & texture, and can be easily overcooked. To get the best flavor, they should be lightly stir-fried, or boiled for 3 minutes. Remove them from heat at that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here