Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to hand-pollinate Scarlet Runner Beans?

Posted by brooklyn_babylon New York (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 13:45

Hi All - My garden is on a 15th floor balcony. I just moved into the space and It didn't occur to me when planting that we don't get very many pollinators this high up! Is it possible to hand-pollinate my Scarlet Runner Beans? If so, how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to hand-pollinate Scarlet Runner Beans?

They are self pollinating.They can be hand pollinated too.Pick up one flower and rub it face to face with rest of the flowers.These flowers are really eye catching beauties.

I am posting a pic.of Scarlet runner bean with beautiful flower from my file.Photobucket

o

There was a previous thread on this. The link is below. - Dick

Here is a link that might be useful: Runner bean pollination

o

Thanks for the responses! I read the previous thread and it only suggests using bees, not how you can do it by hand without insect pollinators. I'll try rubbing them face-to-face like chaman mentions, but am still open to suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here