Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are the pods of shelling peas edible?

Posted by higgin704 (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 13:51

We purchased RSVPea plants from burpee, as well as sugar snap. When they started growing, I accidentally ate peas from the RSVPeas thinking they were the other. They were very tasty. When I realized they were RSVPeas, I tried to google and see if it was safe to eat. It seems there is conflicting info on the web about whether you can eat them or not with some claiming they are poisonous.

RSVPea seems to be a name exclusive to Burpee, so I am having trouble finding the correct answer to this question. Even the woman at Burpee didn't know how to answer it. I'd like to continue eating them. They are really good. But I need to know if it is safe. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are the pods of shelling peas edible?

All parts of the plant Pisum sativum are edible. Palatability is a different debate. Shelling peas normally have tought stringy pods. If this one is tender enough for your taste, have at it.

o

They are perfectly safe.

Even when fully developed and you have shelled out the peas you can make excellent soup from the pods. Because you seive the soup the fibrous nature of the pods is not a problem. There are lots of recipes for hot and cold versions if you Google 'pea pod soup'.

o

The main difference between an "edible" podded pea and a regular pea is a gene to make "vellum" which is the clear, tough,sort of parchment paper like inner lining of the pod. If you are so inclined, you can peel that away on a more mature pod, and also remove the "string" along the seam, and yield a much more edible product. However, its a lot simpler just to grow snow or snap peas, which lack this gene.

If you have access to a university library, you could look up the following article and learn all about the genetics of edible podded peas -- they only give the first few pages online.

No, it won't poison you -- it will just be tough to chew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Genetics of snap peas abstract

o

Holy cow, flora uk... I'd never heard of pea pod soup. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

o

Only some kind of Sweet Peas, (the flowing kind) are poison, and they are a dif species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here