Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pea questions

Posted by perrynewbegining 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 13:56

Last years peas were a bush variety that did not stand on their own. We decided to go with Green Arrow this year as a result of positive feedback on this variety. They are 7"-9" tall now, and I gave up on waiting for them to stand on their own, and ran a few rows of line this morning for them to cling to. We have no clue what we are doing wrong. The plants look good, and are growing well, just not growing UP like they should. They were attaching themselves to the plants on either side, as well as the mulch at their base. Perhaps I jumped the gun and should have given them a chance to establish a firm foundation first? I still have a 60' row that is a few weeks behind the one I worked on this morning. I think I'll leave 4'-5' feet alone and see what it does. This is driving us crazy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pea questions

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 12 at 22:52

The peas should be trellised somehow. I use generic tomato cages, thin bamboo poles or thin branches cut from trees or a combination.

o

"Green Arrow" is a great pea. When I last grew it, I planted a double row & just let them sprawl. The vines were manageable, and produced a great crop. My only problem was blackbirds, which seemed to know what peas were & began pecking the pods open just when the peas were ripening.

o

concur with zeedman

o

If you live in a damp sluggy/snaily climate it is always best support peas. Any on the ground will get splashed with mud and chewed by gastropods.

o

Thanks for the replies. I left a section without the support just to see what happens. Sounds like I hit the panic button too soon. It just started looking like last year so.... Great day here. Sunny, mid seventies and a light breeze. The BF and I planted 4 different types of sunflowers, each corner of the garden has a different type. Also planted about 60' of pole beans and and some Big Mama limas that are supposed to climb to 10'. All in all, an excellent day!

o

Never figured out what we did, or did not do, but once they were tied to the horizontal lines we ran, all was well. The average height was about 36". They put out more peas than we were expecting, and would likely have produced more if the temps had not been close to a 100F for the last week! We are open to suggestions for a climbing variety next year, but were very pleased with the overall performance of the Green Arrows.

o

why are my purple hull peas not filling out?

o

easttexasmom4, It would be better if you started a separate thread. You'll get more answers.

This one is about green peas, and most folks won't pay attention since it is past the season for most of us.

Plus, when you make the new post we need a little more info! :) Like how long have they had pods, what kind of weather are you having, ETC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here