Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Transplanting beans around inside a row

plantslayer
13 years ago

About a week ago I planted a couple of close rows of Dragon's Tongue beans (this is a bush variety). Since my garden is very small and I wanted to be sure I wouldn't lose any space if a bean didn't come up, I double planted two beans on each spot. This week I find that they have not only all sprouted (Seed Saver's Exchange is awesome like that- should have known), but they have a set of 2 true leaves already. This in just 8 days or so!

Anyway, some of the beans that came up looked kind of runty and weak, others had been munched badly by slugs. One did not manage to split the bean casing open. So I did something that might have been stupid: I killed the weak and damaged plants, dug up some of the healthier double planted plants, separated them and replanted one of each to replace the weak ones I killed.

My understanding is that beans don't like to be transplanted. Although I did my best to not damage the roots, no doubt at least they were disturbed, and in some cases probably cut short. I am wondering: was moving them around a bad idea? Will the ones I moved or disturbed become weaker now, be delayed and/or preyed upon by bugs and slugs? Do you think the over-all benefit outweights the risk of doing this?

Last year we planted pole beans, and my wife tells me she transplanted some of the plants around in the same row; they did very well, though I was not aware of this and cannot compare the transplanted ones with the others.

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (5)

• happyday
    13 years ago

You would have been better off to just plant new beans in the empty spots, instead of risking transplanting healthy ones. Tell us later if they make it or not, ok?

I would have let the runty ones live, maybe helped along with a shot of Miracle Gro. Sometimes they recover very well. If you can get a bean casing off without breaking the seedling, the plant recovers.

Meanwhile you can buy slug bait with iron phosphate in it that won't hurt people or plants or pets. Or lay boards down for slugs to collect under and catch them the next day.

• anney
    13 years ago

PS

I'd wait and see what happens. If you were pretty careful about transplanting those beans with a chunk of soil in which they were growing included when you moved them, I doubt if you killed them all!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

"My understanding is that beans don't like to be transplanted." This is an often repeated opinion on GW forums but I have to say that in my climate I transplant beans as a matter of necessity to get them in the ground as soon as the weather is suitable. It also gets them a bit ahead of the slugs and snails. No problem at all. Works with runners, favas and French beans. I read the same about lettuce and corn. Again I transplant them regularly without trouble.

• plantslayer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, a week+ later I removed the cloth from my row of beans, and I don't see any obviously dead plants. The ones at the end which have too much shade to grow well seem to be more or less toast, but the plants originally in that spot before I dug them out and replaced them were in bad shape probably because there just isn't enough light there. Elsewhere the plants all look about the same: their first sets of leaves have been chewed all to hell by slugs and bugs, and they are just now growing their second set of leaves, which look OK for the most part. Can slugs still kill them at this point if they take out the growing tip?

I didn't keep track of which one's were transplanted and which ones were not, but there were plants all up and down the row that were disturbed by my digging around and I don't think it caused any problems, otherwise my whole row would be decimated. I won't do it again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though. :)

I think they'll be just fine in the long run, though I am wondering if I might need some iron phosphate for the slugs after all.

• anney
    13 years ago

I'd use the iron phosphate. Sluggo has been put on the organic list by the powers that be, and it's an easy solution to slug and snail damage. I have to go out tomorrow and get some more myself. I mulched with about 30 bales of hay this year, and the slugs, snails, and pillbugs are in bug heaven. They aren't ruining my crops yet, but I see them on my squash and other plants.

Sponsored