Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean problems

Posted by Imapepper North Florida (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 14:22

Thanks for your responses. The package, which came from Walmart, didn't say if they were self pollinating or not and I can't remember the name of them. I'm not very organized am I ; ) Oh well guess I'll try replanting. Another question. If the package doesn't say whether they are self-pollinating or not how can I tell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean problems

Insect pollinated beans are rare, so the only possibilty from a Wal-mart seed rack is Scarlet Runner, which has very showy red blossoms.. They don't like heat at all. Common beans are not very showy but all are self pollinating. Pole beans don't set well at temps approaching 100 degrees.but I can usuall get an early crop in June and a second crop in September -October. Lazy Wife photo LazyWife2_zpsac521869.jpg

o

Seems none of the problems you mentioned are my problems. Bell peppers planted in front of them are doing great. I may never know the answer, but I do appreciate your reply. It's only in the last couple of weeks that our temps have gotten in the 80's.

o

Most bean species are self pollinating. Most forms of (if not all) scarlet runner beans (phaseolus coccineus) are not self polinating, so they require insects. If it's not a runner bean from the above species, it's likely self polinated.

o

Thank you. The blossoms are white so must not Scarlet Runners. I may never know the problem. Do wish I'd saved the package so I won't buy them again. Guess even at 81 years old there's still lots to learn. Always heard our mistakes teach us more than our successes.

o

I've got beans! They were hidden in the lush, beautiful, green vines. Picked enough for 3 servings. Guess I was too impatient, but the package said 65 days to maturity. Waited that long and found nothing. Thanks, all of you for your responses. We're finally getting some rain after a long drought here. Maybe this will help all us in this area, and my beans.

o

Nice to know. Beans can hide on the plant.. Last year my lima beans were thick with foliage and I didnt see any beans at all.. All of a sudden during a weeks span, I notced that I had a bunch of beans about 5-6". It's like magic how well some bean plants can hide their pods..

Can you believe I've even missed a couple of bowling ball sized squash last year? I found them this spring hanging in a lemon tree... I missed one the previously, hanging in a bush...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here