Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

If you grow bean seeds for online vendors...

anney
13 years ago

When is the best time to order seeds for the next spring and get the seeds you want? For GW seed trading, the best time for trades seems to be late fall and early winter rather than when one is getting pressured for time in the spring. But I know vendors need more time to get everything packaged and organized.

Comments (9)

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

The best time to order seed is December and January. Many sellers run out of varieties very quickly if there is high demand. The best way to be sure you get what you want is to be an early bird... but not too early.

DarJones

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FP

Thanks. I do want to order some seeds that have apparently not been available this year when I decided I wanted them! So I'll check sources earlier.

• deanriowa
    13 years ago

anney you might consider still posting on the exchanges for this subforum and who knows you still might get some seed this year.

Dean

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dean

Thanks. Yes, I'll do that first but after growers have had enough time to collect fresh seeds from 2010. I suspect two that I want for next year, Sieva limas and Dixie speckled butterpeas, aren't going to be available from many GW growers!

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Dixie speckled butterpeas are available from my local co-op. They are widely sold in seed stores here in the south.

DarJones

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dar

They're probably sold here in local feed stores in the spring, too, but those stores are not very closeby. So I'd just thought I'd buy some when I buy the Sieva Limas if I can find a place that sells both. However, someone very nice has offered to send me some butterpeas that I can grow this year.

I really need to pay attention to bean seed-saving since once you have the first crop, you can have others with seed saving. I've mostly been concerned about getting what I do have to germinate and grow, feeling secure that I know their growth patterns and temp needs.

I did save a bunch of beans from a couple of years ago, a mix of wax poles and Fortex poles, but I just don't like wax beans so didn't plan to grow the combo. (If anyone wants them, just holler!)

I assume that the Dixie speckled butterpeas can be spaced between 4- and 6-in, not 18" like I plan to space my Willowleaf pole limas?

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Anney, I have Sieva Lima beans that I will send you for postage.

They were bought this year from a local seed store.

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

M&M

That is extremely kind! I've sent you an email. I probably won't have time to grow them out this year so they'll produce over a reasonable period but certainly will next year.

I didn't think anyone had the Sieva Limas this year since someone was looking for some of them earlier, couldn't find them online!

I really appreciate your offer!

Anne

• jerry43
    13 years ago

In my area, the main seed wholesaler Wyatt Quarles had crop failures with some of their seeds including Sieva. The big seeded pole limas are not well liked here so I expect many people will be trying bush beans for the first time.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida