Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans with low maturity date

Posted by cliftonite nj (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 14:42

Last year I planted some beans that my grandma got from Indian and the 30 or so plants only produced 4 beans. There werent even any flowers on the plants. However they did grow very well (climbing a six foot trellis and coming down on the other side).

I thought that my problems may have been caused by the beans (dont know the type) long maturity date. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for beans that I can plant in NJ that will be productive.

I was looking at the following types from seedsofindia:

http://seedsofindia.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SID=1179942303.31268&page=product.html&product=10

http://seedsofindia.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SID=1179942303.31268&page=product.html&product=13

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans with low maturity date

Cliff, the first item is cluster beans (Cyamopsis tetragonolobus). The second is hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab). Both are tropical beans requiring a long season.

The cluster beans require about 120 warm days, so you might be able to grow them. I believe that there is a GW member fairly close to you who has success with them. But of course, 120 days is far from early.

Most hyacinth beans (especially those from tropical sources) are daylength-sensitive, and will not bloom until the days shorten to 12 hours - which is mid-September. If you have enough time between then and your first frost, you might get some. Here in Wisconsin, the harvest was just beginning when the vines were killed, I only got a few handfulls.

If you are interested in early beans, I suggest that you grow one of the common beans. If you want pole varieties, I would suggest "Kwintus" or "Early Riser" (green) or "Goldmarie" (yellow). These have large, flat Romano-type beans, and mature in about 65 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here