Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scarlet runner beans

Posted by rosefenn 5 - NE (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 15:01

This is my first year growing these. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scarlet runner beans

Check the long-running thread on Insuks Wang Kong. It's a particularly vigorous runner suited to many US climates. If you read right through you will find info on cultivation. In your zone I'd start them indoors asap and plant out when they have one set of true leaves. They need supports at least 6 feet high, preferably 8. Look at another thread headed 'trellis' for ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Runner beans

o

Put them in the ground and duck--they sprout up that fast :D. Like any other bean, they like well-drained soil and a mix-in ahead of time of compost will suit them just fine.

You do need to wait until the soil is a bit warmer & closer to your last frost date. Not sure when the NE last frost date is, but mine--also z5--is around 5/15. I usually plant my beans around 5/10-12, but my beds are raised, so the soil temp is higher than in the ground.

What are you going to trellis them on?

Happy growing!

o

I have an old clothesline set-up near my veg garden, with heavy wire lines on it. I plan to spade up the ground underneath it and then string jute twine from pegs in the ground up to the clothesline. Hope it works!

o

That will be a wonderful set-up. I'd like to have one like it.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here