Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems With my Purple Pole Beans

Posted by caffenol (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 15:22

Hello
I have planted Purple French pole beans in a bed of broccoli, cauli and brussel sprouts, along with that are plants to deter the bugs, Fr. Marigolds, two varieties of mints, Borage and coriander. However, something is still eating at all the leaves, what can be doing this? Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems With my Purple Pole Beans

Caffenol, where are you located? My best guess would be Mexican bean beetles, or Japanese beetles.

The MBB look similar to lady bugs; if you have them, you would probably find some adults, and their larvae (the most destructive stage) would be present on the underside of the leaves. photos of MBB in all stages Note that the MBB adult has a red thorax, while ladybugs have a black thorax. Ladybug larvae - the good guys - are orange & black.

The black Japanese beetles only attack leaves as adults, and if you have them, they would probably be present in large numbers. photo They are mostly found east of the Mississippi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here