Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymargaret21

meadow for quail

marymargaret21
13 years ago

Zone 7 I am trying to join other conservationists in increasing quail numbers. Quail habitat has been systematically destroyed. They need a specialized habitat with native grasses like little bluestem; flowers like black-eyed Susans; and legumes. I know the least about legumes. I have slopes. I will have to cut the sod, improve the soil, and plant seeds and transplants.

The whole point is the create an environment which is not densely covered low to the ground. Quail need to be able to easily run along the ground, especially the babies, but the need cover overhead.

I'm trying to put together a plant list to create my quail meadow, and I would love all the help and suggestions I can get. Thanks!

Mary Margaret

Comments (5)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Partridge Pea or wild senna might fit the bill. I understand the seed is relished by game birds.

I've grown them as an ornamental in the flower bed before because they are so pretty.

If you're talking about Bobwhites in the eastern US, they definitely need all of the help they can get. When I was little in the 1970's they were a common yard bird. Haven't seen or heard one in years now. Such a shame. They probably would go the way of the passenger pigeon if it weren't for the fact they adapt to captivity so well and are bred en mass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Partridge Pea

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

In the olden days when we grew Lespedeza as a hay crop, It supported large populations of quail. Todays emphasis on grasses has cut off thier food supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lespedeza

• jimster
    13 years ago

Investigate crown vetch and other vetches. Crown vetch has been used for erosion control on slopes along highways. It is a perennial legume and might be suitable for your use.

Jim

• anney
    13 years ago

Hi, marymargaret!

I assume you've seen this link, Quail Habitat?

It has all kinds of fascinating information about quail, such cute little birds, including dietary and cover needs. Their cheerful "bob-white" calls are getting more and more rare. When I was a kid, we often saw mothers and babies at the edge of the roads we traveled -- maybe insects that the babies needed were stirred up by passing cars.

I often associate quail with chuck will's widows, and though their diet and habitat aren't the same, they have some overlap. I've lived in places where if there's one, there's usually the other.

Anyway, neat project!

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Well, now all of this has made me want to raise some quail!

I had a pet bobwhite for about 3 years. He was neat. He was literally a "found" bird -- when I worked at the garden center, he showed up one day in the perennial production area. He was completely fearless about people, and actually started following me and the perennial grower around like a puppy. This was a full grown, I assume male, bird. After a couple of days of feeding him, etc., she and I decided that this was just too risky for the bird, since the area was full of feral cats, coons, foxes, etc., and it seemed obvious to us that this had been someone's pet and was either dumped when not wanted (which happened ALL THE TIME there, we always had kittens, you name it dumped) or got loose and got lost.

So, he came home with me and lived for three years in my house in a large adapted parrot cage in my family room.

I might have to try Cortunix quail for the heck of it.

Sponsored