Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanyal55

Newbie seeks bean advice/poles/supports

tanya47
15 years ago

I have some bean questions, I am new to gardening. I am growing Kentucky Wonder, and have just started some Romanos.

I have sandy/organic soil, and full sun exposure, though I expect to get coastal overcast possible in May and June, but so far, lots of sunny weather and the beans seem happy

I chose pole beans because I have very limited space , so am trying to start with vegies that grow UP! But also I have a small community garden plot, and structures higher than about 5', as that can shade the next door plot are not allowed

My Kentucky wonders have reached the top of the bamboo poles (6') I teepee'd for them.As well they are pretty thick with secondary runners lower down. The beans are just starting to set and grow. Should I train the tendrils back down the poles? Should I prune the tips , would that harm the plant or would that encourage better setting lower down?

I just planted the romanos a couple weeks ago, and they are just putting on the second sets of true leaves,I have found some 5' natural alder poles, and set them in 2 rows ( with end posts and cross support, for the beans to grow up. But I imagine that the plants will want to grow higher than 5'?

Any advice greatly appreciated !!!! Thanks !!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors