Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momdino

Blooms on Sugar Snaps

momdino
16 years ago

When should I expect to see my sugar snap peas flowering? They are growing well up the trellis and are about 4 feet in length, but no blooms yet. Am I just being impatient?

Comments (18)

• lakedallasmary
    16 years ago

In my experience, about 30 days to bloom on peas and 30 more to get peas. With varieties longer than 60 days, I am not sure.

When was your plant date?

• momdino
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yikes, only 30 days? These went in around March 25, almost 45 days ago. They were Burpee Sugar Snaps - 70 days to maturity. They are in raised beds so I would think soil temperature would not be the problem. I did not inoculate them - maybe I should have....

• nnsgarden
    16 years ago

I'm in zone 5 (MO) and seem to be in the same predicament as you, nc_steph. I planted late March in raised beds, covered when the temps got too chilly, the vines are growing like crazy and looking very healthy, but I've yet to see a bloom. I thought I'd be harvesting in a couple weeks, but that idea is out the window!

• momdino
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nn, just be patient.... last week I suddenly had 20 or so blooms just appear seemingly overnight. Now there are five times that many, and little peas peeking out. The flowers are all on the upper fifth of the plant, which is one reason I missed seeing them when the flower stalk first began to grow, as I was under the impression that flowers would appear on the lower part of the plant first. Anyway, I will be picking soon, though probably not many, so you may be harvesting in a few weeks after all!

• nnsgarden
    16 years ago

I was just getting on here to update...you are right. I had nothing yesterday and when I walked out this morning, I have 2 blooms and the starts of many more. (Yeah!!!) =)

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

That's a good question....30 days? Then I'm screwed LOL!! I have Oregon Sugar Pod II (a bush type) to about 3o" and they were sowed March 17th and up within 2-3 weeks. Plants are only about 12-13" tall now and haven't had any blooms. Supposedly these are 65 days to maturity but I can't see it.

Vera

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

When they start blooming they make peas very fast. Peas like cool weather. I planted in March and we had a later hard freeze (high 20s). They were about six inches tall at the time and I didn't even cover them. Yesterday I picked almost a gallon of peas and had to pick more today. They are growing on a cattle panel but are above the panel, and above my head now and producing very heavy. I pick them young because we like them raw (in the garden) or in salads, or immature as snow peas in stir fry. They are delicious.

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

Update on my peas.....
    Around June 2 they started blooming and between May 23 (my first reply) and May 30th they went from 12" to about 2.5 feet! They are now covered in blooms and I can't wait :D

Vera

• pieheart
    16 years ago

no blooms on mine yet and they are nearly 4 feet tall. What now? It was very hot today for June (over 90) but the weather is supposed to moderate tomorrow in the upper 70's to around 80. Hoping that will help.

• marial1214
    16 years ago

In Pennsylvania on April 11, 2007 I sowed my 20 feet bed of sugar snap peas with teepees for supports. I am finally seeing white flowers this week. That's about 60 days of growth so far.

I was wondering when the peas would appear. I'll keep looking. I'm excited to see one since this is my first try at growing them. As someone mentioned, they only have blooms on the top portion of the plant so far.

I am having alot of trouble getting them to attach to the teepees and they look kind of messy cuz they're all attaching to themselves. Maybe when they're full grown they will look better. I already tucked some under the levels of twine, and in doing so snapped some of the stems. I have yet to strap them around the teepees with twine. I thought I would let them go to see if they attach naturally...

• olympia_gardener
    16 years ago

I planted same Burpee's pea this year around mid April. There are a lot of white flowers and the vines are about 4' tall and very healthy looking.

• momdino
    Original Author
    16 years ago

An update on my sugar snaps: I just composted the vines yesterday, which were upward of 7 feet long, and drooping over their netting. Temps here are going to be in the nineties from here on out, so even though there were still a few blooms, I figured it was time. I estimate I probably got about 4 pounds from my 8 foot double planted row. We ate them raw, quickly sauteed in butter, and in stir fries. They were awesome. I will definitely grow these again. Good luck to all in your pea growing ventures!

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

Once your sugar snap peas bloom you will only have another week to 10 days until you can pick them. Then you almost need to keep picking every few days or they tend to overmature.

Pod peas take a little longer to fill out but should be ready in a relatively short time after blooming.

• christianmotu
    15 years ago

I live in Baton Rouge (that's in Louisiana, for you Cajun-challenged folks!).

Winters here are generally mild, though the temp got down to around 28 degrees one night last week and the plants didn't seem to suffer at all. I planted my sugar snap seeds directly into the ground about 8 weeks ago and most of the vines (staked and strung) are anywhere from 36" to 48" high.

My question is, when should I expect to see the first flowers, preceding the pods? I read one comment here (I think) that said you normally start see pods developing w/in 45-60 days. If that's true, am I doing something wrong? I weed and water on a regular basis and the vines and leaves look very healthy but no hint of flowers or budding pods.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Short days.It can take up to twice as long for winter grown crops as compared to those grown in the long days of spring.

• greenwitch
    15 years ago

Thanks for that info farmerdilla - that makes alot of sense.

• jen7prairie
    9 years ago

Ditto here in SE Iowa, except my shelly peas (penelope) are flowering & forming peas like mad - only 18" tall.

• magnetlady4u
    9 years ago

Hang in there. I planted my peas March 10th.....had to replant some in april. I have had a decent amount so far....just hoping the weather doesn't shoot to summer quite yet!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone