Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garbanzo beans

Posted by orangedragonfly zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 07 at 16:09

can these be planted now in zone 6 (massachusettes). I had a unexpected spot I was going to use for something eles come free , so I was thinking of giving these a crack.
any tips, and tricks. this week its been pretty cool, although next week is supposed to be in the 70's-80's .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garbanzo beans

If it is warm enough...In Ma you might even try using a plastic mulch to warm the ground...I jsut told my husband that we are having a spring just like New England....damp and chilly.

o

so they are a warm weather bean. I think it should start getting warm enough this week. How tall do the plants get? I really want to do something that gets pretty tall.

o

interesting, I just found this quote "Garbanzo Beans - You will rarely see garbanzos or chick peas growing anywhere except in central California. There, they are planted in early spring, and the dry seeds are harvested in the summer. The plants look more like vetch than beans. Pods are short and numerous; each pod contains two or three plump seeds. The dried or commercial beans are so cheap there is little point in growing your own. Save the garden space and use it for growing snap beans."
\ well I may try something eles than

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here