Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bush beans....what's going on here??

Posted by sassylady 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 16:14

planted bush beans (provider snap variety from seeds of change) on 4/20. everything germinated well....looked to be going good and now they are falling over. looks like their stem becomes pinched (for lack of a better word) then they just topple over and die. all that i've lost were growing true leaves, not just the seed leaves. what's happening?? can i stop it?? thanks!!

pictures at:

http://gallery.mac.com/sassylady01

Here is a link that might be useful: bean trouble

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bush beans....what's going on here??

There could be several causes, but none that I know cures for once they occur. I have several places where Phytophthora gives me a fit so I would suspect it

Here is a link that might be useful: Phytophyhora

o

This might sound dumb LOL but what if you put some extra soil around them? I had a few cucumbers that started to do that. I added soil around them up to the point of just the leaves sticking out above the soil and they took off and are doing great. For me it was almost as if they weren't planted deep enough or something (even though they were initially?)

Good luck!

o

I'm assuming these were direct seeded and not started indoors? It sounds a lot like damping off to me, but I've never heard of it affecting beans before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here