Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_ga

Black Jungle Butter Beans - 2012

cindy_ga
11 years ago

As the last thread was getting so long, I thought I'd start a new one. Ted and Harry - are you finding the HBJBBs (4 bean improved) are slow to germinate and get going? I planted 6 seeds, got two that germinated right away and a third sprouted about two weeks after. Anyway, I'm looking forward to another great year of the butterbeans. Thanks to some generous folks on the board - I'm trying a bunch of different lima type beans this year. It's going to be a good beany year!

Cindy

Comments (55)

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ted - so sorry about your wild weather! Ours cooled off from March's hot temps - the garden is somewhat confused... Harry - that's interesting on the needing cold/freeze. Since I have raised beds, I wind up hand turning the soil (usually top 4-6 inches) to loosen it up for planting and that interrupts the volunteer sprouts. I also add soil and compost to the beds in the spring. I only found a few BJBB volunteers in the aisles. I have many tomato volunteers tho - everywhere thanks to pillaging squirrels. Annette - I love the look of the vines too. Planted some blue hyacinth beans and Japanese Sword beans as ornamentals this year - I'm really looking forward to the wild look!

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

I had about 20 seed and planted them roughly a month ago. All but two seed germinated, but it took them 2 weeks to start growing. We had two very heavy rains and they took off after the second one.

DarJones

• jolj
    11 years ago

To cool, then too wet here in Lugoff too.
    I planted one hill at the end of my last tomato row, just to see & it came up. I will plant all the beans this weekend, even if I have to cover the damp soil to keep the sun off it.
    I could wet it after turning it , but that out of the pan into the fire.
    Thanks to Harry & wertech for the HBJBB & Tom for the Greasy beans.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

I planted a 15' row in the ground in February. The seeds seemed to germinate just fine. The seeds were a gift, so I don't know if they were refrigerated or frozen. I will have to check. They look like they are close to harvest stage - just over three months. Is that normal?

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

The beans are starting to form runners. This is relatively slow compared to similar beans I am growing this year.

DarJones

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I finally got mine planted Sunday, it was windy for a few days so it was barely dry enough. Too wet on one end so I made short rows. Had to get at least part of them in! I Planned to plant today but it rained again yesterday.

I'll go back and finish them when it dries out some more. It is supposed to be near 90 for the next few days. But they are calling for more storms. It's cloudy 71 degrees with 80% humidity right now.

A guy at work said his were about 12 inches high. He lives about 30 miles north of me, so he has had different weather. He didn't get a killing late frost and has missed the hard rains and wind that I've had.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I'm amazed! They are up in 5 days! It looks like I got nearly 100% germination. I'm going to plant the rest of them late this evening.

• jolj
    11 years ago

How high or long do the runners get on this HBJBB plant.
    I may try a single pole per plant.
    wertach, what is the latest we should plant HBJBB in S.C. & make dry seeds in the vine?

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just found my second planting is up - that was five days too. I'm not sure if 100%, but much better than last time (reseeded twice!). Now if only the kudzu bugs will leave them alone.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

@jolj I really don't know for sure, but I would think that you could plant them as late as July. They will produce until frost kills them.

They also dry very quickly, I have skipped a day or so picking them and had dry ones all over.

I had them on a 5' trellis last year and they outgrew it, leaned over and attached to the corn growing in the next row! I'm guessing that they would probably reach 10' if you let them.

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Jolj - I missed your question yesterday. Mine are growing on a cattle panel that is 16 feet bent into an arch - so about 7 feet tall at top. The BJBBs last year reached the top and then went down the otherside about 3 feet. I planted the last ones in July, started harvesting from those in Sept and they produced into November when finally the cold beat them back. They produced a bit into Dec, but it was kind of pitiful as not enough sun or heat. I finally tore them out. Many dried in the pods. Hope this helps.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Yes, thank you both.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Hi cindy,wertach
    My first hill of BJBB has began to run, & it has 5 or 6 runners on only one bean plant. Will all my beans grow like this?
    If so I will need a Trellis next year.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Yes jolj, you need a trellis.

• flintknapper
    11 years ago

Joli, Send me an email so I can send you a picture of my current crop of BJBBs and you can get an idea about how much trellis you will need.

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last year my BJBBs climbed a cattle panel trellis - up one side and half way down the other, that's about 11 feet!

Mine are starting to run finally too - slow start on the HJBBs.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Disaster struck last night.

I turned off the water to my scarecrow sprinkler to add another one for extra protection against deer.

Just as I was finishing my brother called, wanting me to help him with moving some heavy stuff.

I forgot to turn the water back on. The deer had a party. They topped all of the BJBB's, green beans and okra.

I know that they will recover, but it is a big setback. I think I'm going to apply for one of those nuisance hunting permits!

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Ted - I am so sorry. That hurts. A lot! I hope the warming weather will hurry the process along. I managed to break off one of my trial beans' runner. It's growing multiples now leaving me to wonder if I should pinch them early.

The permit sounds like a good plan!

• jolj
    11 years ago

I got one of the MH permit a few years ago.
    More then one hunter can use it, if they are named on the MHP.

• jolj
    11 years ago

My HBJBB is blooming.

This plant is plant by it's self, first for seeds.

• dancinglemons
    11 years ago

I am new to BJBB. Silvia sent me seeds in 8/2011 and they have just begun to grow. I pre-sprouted them on wet paper towel stuck in open plastic water cup on top of seed heat mat. The seeds took about 2 weeks to sprout. I should mention that I soaked them first 24 hours in a 4/1 water/peroxide solution.

My question is this -- what is HBJBB ?? Thanks!

DL

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

"My question is this -- what is HBJBB ??"

Harry's BJBB !They all came from Harry Flint.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

The last of the 6 I planted popped up today, the first germinated on May 8. I have them planted in a tub in the greenhouse and so far they are looking good, in fact I think they might run amuck later on which is OK with me, they can duke it out with the tomatoes.

Annette

• dancinglemons
    11 years ago

Thanks wertach. In future I will call them HBJBB - must give credit where credit is due :-)

Thanks to Harry Flint!!!!

DL

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

oops, That was supposed to be Harry, Flintknapper.

• renny11
    11 years ago

Would someone please describe the growth habits of this bean? For some reason I thought it was a pole bean, but it does not seem to wrap and climb like other pole beans. Thanks.

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

It is a pole lima bean. The vertical habit is a bit weak which is typical of some tropical lima types. You may have to encourage the runners to start up poles or strings.

DarJones

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I didn't have any problems with them attaching to my string trellis this or last year. Are you using something kinda slick like bamboo? Mine seemed to prefer the string where most beans grab the poles first.

I picked my first "mess as we say down here in SC" today. I'm having BJBBs with fresh tomatoes, squash, onions, and sweet pepper for supper!

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine do well climbing on cattle panel trellis. Last year I had some that actually took over a tomato plant - it was kind of interesting to see the occasional tomato leaf, fruit or flower poke out from under a mass of bean leaves.

• renny11
    11 years ago

I guess I needed a little patience. they are slowly but surely starting to climb. But like Fusion power said, they are weak climbers. I am looking forward to harvest. Thanks.

11 years ago

I'm getting excited, my BJBB's in the greenhouse are starting to flower and there's lot more forming so it looks like I might get to taste some after all :).
    I can see a few ants on the stems but don't see any aphids I'll keep an eye out for the little beasties (being polite here) also since my BJBB's are planted in a tub should I give them a bit of fertilizer and if so what should I use?.
    The weather has finally smartened up so all the other beans I have planted out in the garden are starting to do their thing, I was beginning to wonder if this year was going to be a bust.

Annette

• flintknapper
    11 years ago

Annette. A ratio of 8-24-24 has been working for me on all beans here in SE Texas. Just don't use too much. Growing them in a container probably is a little different than in ground planting.
    Harry

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I picked my first "mess" of the year this morning! I will be eating them for supper tonight, with fresh tomato, and cornbread! I wish my okra was ready!

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Ted - I picked my first batch this morning too. Not many yet, but a nice sampling. I'm also loving my Christmas Limas this year. Those are producing like mad. Love them!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I have a question for you on Christmas Lima's. I love them fresh shelled but don't like them at all when they are dried.

I picked some dried ones up at a farmers market that is on the edge of the mountains last fall,they weren't to tasty. I have bought them in the pods there before and they were great.

For some reason I have hard luck with them, I think it's just too darned hot where I live. That farm has much cooler weather than me.

Is it my taste buds or do you feel the same?

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first batch of Christmas limas that I ate were dried and I soaked and then cooked them. I was immediately sold! The fresh from the garden were even better. I'm planning to both freeze and dry some beans to see how they compare in flavor. I've always had good luck with freezing peas and the limas, not so good with snap beans.

I think we are hotter than you, but the ones I ate from dried came from the Midwest, so I'm not sure that is a definitive answer. Hope your beans are doing well!

Cindy

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Hello, BBFs (that's butter bean friends)!!

I found this thread accidentally, but I do have a question.
    Last year, I ate the most unbelievable vegetarian butter bean soup at a local Souper Salad restaurant. I e-mailed corporate - no dice on the recipe. The beans in the soup were huge and very tender - not reminiscent of icky lima beans at all (hoping I don't offend!)
    My question is this: of all of the butter beans out there, which ones are large and tend to cook up very velvety-tender? (second question might be...does anyone know this soup/have this recipe?)

Thanks to you all...Sharon, in central Oklahoma

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Cindy, I have frozen some. I just balanced. cooled and added enough water to cover. They were great.

Sharon, in central Oklahoma. How big is huge on your scale? 1/2" or bigger? Christmas limas and many others are big ones, what color were they? Most likely brown after cooking? ;)

What we call butter beans around here can have all kinds of different colors when they are not cooked. They normally turn brown or beige after cooking. Someone might correct me on this, I'm just using my own experiances. Unlike the icky lima beans which turn white unless picked very young.

I like those icky lima beans also, but I prefer butter beans!

PS I have Hercules butter peas cooking for supper at this moment. I will gorge myself with them and regret it later..... LOL

• jolj
    11 years ago

I have 30 dry HBJBB for seeds.
    Hopefully I can plant a full row next year, on a trellis.

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Wertach,

Thanks for asking :~)

The beans in that soup cooked up to be about 1 1/4" long, and about 3/4 - 1" wide - they were large! And yes, they were a beige to tan color.

The "icky" limas I referred to are the small, light green ones that are rather dry (and not creamy), as found in vegetable soups sometimes.

Sharon

• cindy_ga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon,

Our local grocery has a "Mediterranean Bar" which has a great collection of antipasta type foods and that includes some marinated "Gigandes" beans. They are close to the size you're describing. There is a thread on this board about Gigandes - that might be what you're looking for.

The ones at the grocery were awesome, very creamy. I'm trying some seed this year, so far, just a few flowers, no beans. But my weather may be too hot for them.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Gigandes

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Sharon,

Do you have a Whole foods market in your area or something similar? They have a large variety of dry bulk beans. You might find them there.

I remember buying some very large, very delicious ones there last fall and I think they were Gigandes, not sure. I meant to go back and get some to plant this spring but I forgot.

I don't go there very often because my closest one is 25 miles away.

11 years ago

My BJBB's are loaded with flowers and there's lots of small beans forming. Mine are planted in a tub just inside the greenhouse door which is kept open 24-7 since the warm weather arrived.
    The flowers themselves are small compared to the other types of beans I'm growing, is this their nature? I want to keep most for seed but hope to sample a few that is if I can figure out what stage to pick them.
    They are doing so well in the greenhouse I might try a pole of them in the garden next year. The Chinese Red Noodles planted at the same time in the greenhouse aren't fairing as well, no flowers yet.

Annette

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Annette, like most sieva type lima beans, they are best picked at the green mature stage and shelled. Boil them in water at least 45 minutes, then season and serve. They taste very good with other vegetable dishes and with cornbread.

I picked and shelled a pint of Black Jungle butter beans this evening. I started with 20 seed earlier this spring, got 18 plants, and those plants are loaded down with beans that are slowly maturing. From what I can see, I should wind up with about 1/2 gallon of mature seed.

DarJones

• jolj
    11 years ago

Went out to water the HBJBB & the amount of tiny bean shells & blooms has doubled. I thought the beans would increase when it got cooler, but not in August!

11 years ago

I just harvested a handful of seed tonight from the ones growing in the greenhouse, a few of the pods were brittle dry so I shelled them.
    These pods sure are flat compared to the beans I'm used to growing, this lot I'll save for seed but think if started early enough I might get away with growing them outside next year. I now have an idea of what they look like when they're ready to pick as shellies too, this has been another learning curve for me.

Annette

• hementia8
    11 years ago

Does anyone have this one or any heirloom beans for trade
    I have quite a few for trade
    See my have list
    Charlie

11 years ago

My handful of seed, enough to grow next year, I think we'll eat the rest.

Annette

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Check your e-mail Charlie.

11 years ago

We had our first BJBB's for dinner tonight, OMG were they good, they just melt in your mouth I now know why they are called butter beans. I thought they had a nutty flavor reminiscent of walnuts.
    We could have another feed off the few plants in the greenhouse but I'll be saving these for seed too. I don't know if they will grow in the garden here so next year I'll be growing twice as many in the greenhouse as well as a few outside.

Annette

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks